Filled Brioche Buns
Posted: 30 July 2010 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-05-21

Hi all.. There’s an amazing bakery in Philadelphia called the Metropolitan Bakery which makes these fantastic raspberry filled brioche buns dusted with powdered sugar. Because they’re so fantastic, they’re always sold out, so I’d like to use Rose’s brioche recipe to make a facsimile. Has anyone tried making a filled brioche bun like this? My thought is before shaping the buns to put a dollop of raspberry jam inside and then let it rise around it. Does that sound like it would work?

Mary

Posted: 01 August 2010 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-05-21

Well, I gave it a try and it turned out pretty good! I followed the brioche recipe in The Bread Bible up to the step where you cut the dough into 16 pieces. Then I rolled each piece into a circle, probably about 4-5” across, and put a big dollop of raspberry jam in the center. I drew up the edges around the filling and pinched them closed. I let the buns rise for an hour and then baked them at 425 with Rose’s egg glaze for 10 min. Some of the buns leaked filling where I rolled them too thin, and the bottoms may have gotten too dark, but overall, really tasty.

Posted: 01 August 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Sounds wonderful!  You could put a little cream cheeze in there, as well!  That’s more or less how we used to make pepperoni rolls when I was growing up.  Oh, how I miss those things! 

Oooh, or you could use just a little cinnamon with a milk icing inside and have a sort of inside-out cinnamon bun!!

Posted: 02 August 2010 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds good!  Thanks so much for reporting your results.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 August 2010 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Glad you enjoyed your filled brioche buns.  They sound wonderful.

Anne - cream cheese and raspberry inside - sounds like heaven.  Almost like a raspberry-cream cheese danish.