Problem frosting with blue buttercream
Posted: 30 July 2010 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-19

I usually cover my cakes with fondant or chocolate. A client asked me for a cake frosted with blue buttercream. I managed to smooth it quite well, but the colour isn’t uniform at all. It looks all stained. Anybody knows what may be the reason? Thanks!

Posted: 31 July 2010 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Daniela, if you have clients, you are obviously a professional, so I’m not sure how my only thought will help you.  However, here it is:  What if the cake were brought completely to room temp again so the frosting was really spreadable.  Could it then be worked around to be either (A) be a pretty marbelly swirl or (B) blended to be uniform?

Posted: 01 August 2010 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

I had this happen once with blue frosting! I heated my spatula when spreading and when the heat from the spatula melted some of the frosting it also caused it to change color.  Could this be why?

Posted: 01 August 2010 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-19

Thank you for your response Anne! I have to copy a cake from a picture, and it really looks like fondant, so it have to be perfectly smooth, that’s why unfortunately can’t do swirls!!
Gia: may be what you say. The first time, I did what I do for the white buttercream under the fondant: I put the spatula under hot water. So it looked perfectly smooth, but marbled! Then I tried again with a clean spatula and it worked much better. Anyway, it still doesn’t look at all like the picture. S I’m trying to convince them to do fondant…
Thank you both for you answers!

Posted: 01 August 2010 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Is it possible to tint another batch of buttercream and put it over the current layer if the current layer were cool enough to not move while you added the new layer?  Sort of a “top coat”?

Good luck in any case!!