Chocolate Neoclassic Buttercream with a twist
Posted: 30 July 2010 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I thought I would experiment with the chocolate neoclassic buttercream today.  I have a couple of chocolate cakes to make in the next couple of weeks so I thought what the heck, the worst that could happen is that it turns out awful and I would have to start from scratch. ( I’ve done that a few times grin )

I made one batch of the neoclassic buttercream with Lyle’s golden syrup to give the buttercream a butterscotch/caramel undertone.  (which was much more pronounced before the chocolate was added.

I borrowed Bill’s idea of adding sifted good quality cocoa powder to the buttercream except that I added double the amount - 60gms

Then I added 8 oz of melted and cooled Lindt bittersweet chocolate.

And to top it off I added a couple teaspoons of chocolate extract made by neilson massey.

Can you say YUMMY!!!  So good in fact, my tummy doesn’t feed good right now from all the sampling I did.  I think I need to go and get something to settle my stomach down.  I guess you can call it a workplace hazard.  LOL  Normally I only have a small taste to make sure it tastes ok, but this time I over indulged myself.  confused

( Bill, I hope you don’t mind me using your idea of adding cocoa powder.  I thought that since it tasted so so good in Bill’s buttercream , why shouldn’t it taste good in the neoclassic)

Posted: 30 July 2010 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I can definitely relate, Liza. That is exactly how I felt yesterday after making my first ganache.  I’ll have to bookmark your suggestions and give it a try.

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Liza, this sounds wonderful. Can’t wait to try it.

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds dreamy and wonderful, I love the neoclassic!  Please report back on cakes that you paired it with and how well it balanced.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 30 July 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, you know it taste good when you can’t stop eating it LOL. Congrats on the formula. I look forward to seeing the pics of the finished product smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 31 July 2010 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Sounds wonderful!!!!  That neoclassic is some awesome stuff.  Really looking forward to hearing how it all turns out.

Please report back on cakes that you paired it with and how well it balanced.

Thank you, Julie, for always maintaining perspective!  You know, before Rose’s cakes, I saw cake as merely a vehicle for frosting. Kind of like chips and dip, but Rose’s cakes have changed all that for me, and I’m truly amazed at (1) how good the cake part can be and (2) how completely impressive it is when it all works together as a unit rather than a cake/frosting assemblage.