Chocolate Neoclassic Buttercream with a twist
Posted: 30 July 2010 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2009-09-16

I thought I would experiment with the chocolate neoclassic buttercream today.  I have a couple of chocolate cakes to make in the next couple of weeks so I thought what the heck, the worst that could happen is that it turns out awful and I would have to start from scratch. ( I’ve done that a few times grin )

I made one batch of the neoclassic buttercream with Lyle’s golden syrup to give the buttercream a butterscotch/caramel undertone.  (which was much more pronounced before the chocolate was added.

I borrowed Bill’s idea of adding sifted good quality cocoa powder to the buttercream except that I added double the amount - 60gms

Then I added 8 oz of melted and cooled Lindt bittersweet chocolate.

And to top it off I added a couple teaspoons of chocolate extract made by neilson massey.

Can you say YUMMY!!!  So good in fact, my tummy doesn’t feed good right now from all the sampling I did.  I think I need to go and get something to settle my stomach down.  I guess you can call it a workplace hazard.  LOL  Normally I only have a small taste to make sure it tastes ok, but this time I over indulged myself.  confused

( Bill, I hope you don’t mind me using your idea of adding cocoa powder.  I thought that since it tasted so so good in Bill’s buttercream , why shouldn’t it taste good in the neoclassic)

Posted: 30 July 2010 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  530
Joined  2010-06-07

I can definitely relate, Liza. That is exactly how I felt yesterday after making my first ganache.  I’ll have to bookmark your suggestions and give it a try.

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2009-11-20

Liza, this sounds wonderful. Can’t wait to try it.

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4674
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds dreamy and wonderful, I love the neoclassic!  Please report back on cakes that you paired it with and how well it balanced.

Posted: 30 July 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1057
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, you know it taste good when you can’t stop eating it LOL. Congrats on the formula. I look forward to seeing the pics of the finished product smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/