Wonderful find!!!
Posted: 30 July 2010 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have made so much raspberry puree over the last 6 months and all I had to remove the seeds was a fine mesh strainer and the back of a spoon or spatula.  Can you say
” PAIN IN THE BEHIND!!”  I didn’t want to make anymore because it took so long to remove all those little nasty seeds.

Yesterday I bought the OXO good grips food mill and it comes with 3 sizes of mesh strainers, coarse, medium and fine. 

What a dream to use.  I used the fine mesh strainer to strain the seeds from my raspberry pulp and it removed every seed.  There was not one seed in the puree.  You turn the crank clockwise to strain and then you turn it counterclockwise to scrape the seeds from the mesh and reposition the food.  So I kind of went back and forth for a while and when I was done all I had left in the food mill was seeds and in the bowl under the food mill was wonderful SEEDLESS raspberry puree!!

The crank turns very easily and you don’t have that awful grinding noise that some other food mills have.  It has rubber feet on the bottom which fit nice over a bowl and it does not slip when you are using it.  The feet fold under the food mill when you are not using it.

It is very easy to assemble and take apart.

I highly recommend this food strainer.

Image Attachments
oxo 1.jpgoxo 2.jpg

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Liza, for reporting your findings!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 31 July 2010 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Thanks for the recommendation!  I also have had to use a sieve for removing those seeds, and I think I lost half the pulp because i finally got too impatient.  I have avoided making raspberry buttercream since then and have been lazily using my American Spoon preserves and doing strawberry instead.  But I may have to invest in one of these now!

Posted: 31 July 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I know I will be needing that food mill eventually. A chef on the Food Network claims it is her favorite tool and uses it all the time.

I didn’t know Oxo made this..I like their products and will definitely check it out..thank you

Posted: 01 August 2010 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’m shopping for a food mill and this sounds just right. I have purchased other Oxo products and they are well made and reasonably priced.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 01 August 2010 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

You are very welcome.

Posted: 02 August 2010 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I also forgot to mention that the whole thing is dishwasher safe!

Posted: 03 August 2010 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks! You’re right, getting out those seeds is a real pain!