Timing for assembly and delivery of fondant covered cakewith
Posted: 06 March 2008 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

HI. I’ve got an order for a 2-tier fondant covered cake (All occasion downy yellow cake) with a ganache filling. The tiers are 8” square and 6” square with a gumpaste loop bow topper, royal icing leaves, and fondant flowers, strips and dots.

Can I finish decorating it the night before, stick it fully decorated in the fridge and then deliver take it out for delivery the following day or will that melt the gumpaste, fondant/royal icing accents? In a pinch I could keep the covered cake in the fridge but put off placing the decorations until early the next morning. ut I don’t really wanna do that unless I really have to.

Could I keep the fully decorated cake in a cool room (about 78 degrees F or 25 deg C)? I know it will keep but will the cake (filling, decorations, etc) be stable enough for transport if the cake stands overnight at this temperature?

It needs to be delivered by 1PM. I can’t work on it in the morning of delivery because I’ve got another job (teaching prenatal class) to do.

Thanks

Posted: 09 March 2008 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Do all the decorating the day before, and put the floral decorations on just before delivery.  You could leave the cake in a cool spot overnight - you aren’t using a perishable filling.  If you decide to chill it, put all the final decorations on just before delivery but do all the fondant work (stripes, etc) before as you are planning to do.  If you can, put the bow loops on just before delivery too; otherwise you risk something bumping into them with the in/out when you store it.  While I prefer to have a cake fully completed before I put it away, the reality is that my walk in is humid and bow loops will melt overnight.  Your mileage will vary - some home refrigerators are not humid.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 10 March 2008 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

Thank you!  I did end up refrigerating the cakes and there were no problems with that.  The first time is always nerve wracking so I’m glad that’s over!