Favorite Cocoa Powder and Chocolate?
Posted: 01 August 2010 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-09-09

I am curious to see what brands of cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate you prefer… and also if there are any that you detest!  Thanks a bunch! 

Sarah

Posted: 02 September 2010 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-09-02
Anne in NC - 01 August 2010 08:08 PM

I don’t have a huge variety to choose from here in Charlotte, NC, but I’ve been really happy with my results using Green and Black’s unsweetened cocoa powder.

As far as unsweetened chocolate goes, I have one choic:  Ghiradelli (spelled wrong, I’m sure).

If it’s anything other than unsweetened, I like to mix chocolates, as I’ve found I prefer that to using a single chocolate.  So, if I want a 70% chocolate, I’ll use, say, 1/3 weight of each of a 70%, 85% and 55% bars (or thereabouts), often mixing brands.  I really like the chocolate used in the Endangered Species chocolate bars, on the whole, and also the Divine chocolate bars, and I tend to use them quite a bit.

For white chocolate, I found that I preferred Lindt over Green and Blacks (blind taste test) and so did the hub, and that surprised me!  I’d like to find something I like a little better than Lindt, even, though.

Anne, where have you been able to find Green and Black’s cocoa powder in Charlotte? I have been able to find the bars but no luck on the cocoa powder.

Posted: 02 September 2010 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-03-20

Do any of the british bakers know which of the cocoa powders available in the UK are equivalent to ‘Dutch Processed’ cocoa that Rose recommends?

Posted: 07 September 2010 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

YUM!  Green & Black white cocolate!!!  So good in the Lux Lemon cake!

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 14 September 2010 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10
Liza - 01 August 2010 10:48 PM

White Chocolate - Lindt Piccoli (35% cocoa butter fat)  I have to drive 45 minutes to get it, but I can get a 2.5kg bag of it for $37.96.  I vaccum pack and freeze it.  Have never had a problem with it.

- I can also get the green and blacks white chocolate, but it is much more expensive to buy, so not very economical for me.

For the white lindt chocolate is this the chocolate truffle squares?

Posted: 14 September 2010 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you Julie for all of your wonderful suggestions as always.

Posted: 15 September 2010 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you.  I will end up using Ghiradelli as that is what is available to me.  I can’t find G&B White here.  I know some stores carry the Callebut I will look for that today.  If it was a choice between those two which is the favorite?  What is the difference?  G&B is less sweet, what is the Callebut?

Posted: 26 September 2010 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-02-10

droste cocoa and callebaut or E. guittard choclate wafers always work for me - and they are affordable too.

Posted: 05 October 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m new to the bulk chocolate world, but I have a Lindt outlet about 15 minutes from my house, so I can get cases of bars, which works for me!
However, cocoa powder is another matter… Has anyone used the cocoa powder from Albert Uster Imports? They have a regular and a Brut in quantities that would help me a lot. Rose’s German Chocolate Cake makes a wonderful choc cake base for a variety of frosting flavors, but I’m tearing through the cocoa powder, of course. Thanks!

Posted: 23 October 2010 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-10-22

For Dark Chocolate, I have had really good results with Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Belgian chocolate. It costs about $5.50 for a 17.6 oz block, so much more cost effective than Lindt and others.

Posted: 05 November 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-10-22

Has anyone tried Rodelle Dutch Dark Cocoa?  I just mixed up some with boiling water for an All American Chocolate Cake and it DID NOT SMELL RIGHT!!!  So I left it and ran out to get some Droste, which I’ve used for years.  I figured it was better to switch to a tried and true and not waste all the other ingredients.  By the way…the Trader Joe’s Belgian Dark is only $5 per pound….don’t know how that compares to bulk pricing on the fancier brands, but it tastes great in my ganache!!