2 of 2
Favorite Cocoa Powder and Chocolate?
Posted: 14 September 2010 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I did a taste test, too, a while back with Ghiradelli, Callebaut bulk and G&B’s white chocolate, and my preference was for the G&B’s.  Ghiradelli is the sweetest, I think, and since white chocolate is mostly sugar and cocoa butter, it would also have a lower cocoa butter content and so a less waxy mouthfeel.  I know what you mean about the waxiness of G&B, but I like that it isn’t so sweet and I like the rounded, vanilla bean flavor.  But all three work well in Rose’s recipes.

To each her own! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 14 September 2010 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 01 August 2010 08:08 PM

I don’t have a huge variety to choose from here in Charlotte, NC, but I’ve been really happy with my results using Green and Black’s unsweetened cocoa powder.

As far as unsweetened chocolate goes, I have one choic:  Ghiradelli (spelled wrong, I’m sure).

I use both of these also and like them very much

Posted: 14 September 2010 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

But all three work well in Rose?s recipes.

I don’t have access to the Callebut, but I totally agree that G&B and Ghiradelli would both work great, and if the store was out of Ghiradelli, I’d happily use G&B.  I just have a slight preference.  But now I want to taste test again for the sweetness factor!!!!

Posted: 15 September 2010 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you.  I will end up using Ghiradelli as that is what is available to me.  I can’t find G&B White here.  I know some stores carry the Callebut I will look for that today.  If it was a choice between those two which is the favorite?  What is the difference?  G&B is less sweet, what is the Callebut?

Posted: 15 September 2010 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Between Callebaut bulk and Ghiradelli bars, I prefer the Callebaut, but it is all a matter of personal taste, either, or both, will work.  You could do your own taste test! smile

My white chocolate hierarchy is as follows:
1 G&B
2 Lindt
3 Callebaut bulk
4 Ghiradelli bars

I don’t think I’ve ever tasted Valrhona Ivoire, it’s sort of funny because the dark bars are available here, but not the white.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 15 September 2010 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

I wish I could get the Lindt white here!  I think their chocolate is quite good as far as “regular” chocolate goes.

Posted: 26 September 2010 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-02-10

droste cocoa and callebaut or E. guittard choclate wafers always work for me - and they are affordable too.

Posted: 05 October 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m new to the bulk chocolate world, but I have a Lindt outlet about 15 minutes from my house, so I can get cases of bars, which works for me!
However, cocoa powder is another matter… Has anyone used the cocoa powder from Albert Uster Imports? They have a regular and a Brut in quantities that would help me a lot. Rose’s German Chocolate Cake makes a wonderful choc cake base for a variety of frosting flavors, but I’m tearing through the cocoa powder, of course. Thanks!

Posted: 23 October 2010 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-10-22

For Dark Chocolate, I have had really good results with Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Belgian chocolate. It costs about $5.50 for a 17.6 oz block, so much more cost effective than Lindt and others.

Posted: 05 November 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-10-22

Has anyone tried Rodelle Dutch Dark Cocoa?  I just mixed up some with boiling water for an All American Chocolate Cake and it DID NOT SMELL RIGHT!!!  So I left it and ran out to get some Droste, which I’ve used for years.  I figured it was better to switch to a tried and true and not waste all the other ingredients.  By the way…the Trader Joe’s Belgian Dark is only $5 per pound….don’t know how that compares to bulk pricing on the fancier brands, but it tastes great in my ganache!!

2 of 2