The Pie and Pastry bible - Recipe suggestions
Posted: 02 August 2010 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

So I have had this book for a few months and I have lovingly pondered over all the wonderful recipes.  I would like to try my hand at pastry, expand my culinary techniques.
Or try to anyway. 

There are so many recipes,  I just don’t know where to start.  So I was hoping that some of you could give me a few suggestions from your experience with these recipes.  I definitely would like to try the broiche. 

I would also like to know if I could use Rose’s broiche recipe to make monkey bread.

Posted: 02 August 2010 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, I definitely would try the brioche. It’s pretty easy and you can make it in a loaf pan. I’ve made these a couple of times. It’s so good, soft, moist, and light that you would have to prevent yourself from eating the whole thing.
I’ve never made the monkey bread, so I can’t make any comments about that one smile.
I have made the Open Faced Designer Apple Pie, Banner Banana Cream Pie, Danish Braid, and Croissant from this book.
I want to try the puff pastry but haven’t gotten a chance - perhaps this fall when it’s cooler.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 August 2010 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, I love, love, love this book, it is my favorite of all Rose’s books… so far!

When you say pastry, are you ruling out pies and tarts?  Just in case you’re not, a few thoughts on pies/tarts:
My recommendation to start with, would be a seasonal fruit paired with the cream cheese flaky crust.  Whatever is most perfectly ripe and tasty, choose a recipe that features that.  Not sure where you are, but here that would be peaches/cream tart, open face blueberry pie or blueberry- lemon curd tart, etc. 

In another month or so, when orchard fresh apples are here, I’ll make the open face designer apple pie, which is possibly the most perfect apple pie ever.  Because it is open-faced, the crust can be blind baked and is super crispy and perfect.  Also because it is open-faced, the juices evaporate when baking, so that very little cornstarch is needed and there is very little dulling of fruit flavor.

After that, maybe in Oct, my family’s favorite pie will be up in the rotation:  concord grape.  When I make these, I make them in multiples and freeze (unbaked), so we can continue to have them into the new year.

In the Fall, the pecan tart is to die for, I like it best with the bourbon whipped cream but without the chocolate.  Make sure to use Lyle’s.

Let’s see, pastry thoughts.  I agree, Rose’s brioche is lovely, I have made it many, many times.  If you still have good strawberries in season there, I would go for the Savarin (details in the Cake Bible).  The first summer I discovered Savarin I made it over and over, probably 5 or 6 times.  I’ve never tried it as Monkey Bread, but it would probably work.  The pecan sticky buns are very good.  And brioche is easier than either puff pastry or croissant.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 02 August 2010 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

The scones are amazing! Especially hot out of the oven.  I used dried blueberries (Costco has them) instead of currants. 

I’ve made pies with all of the pie crusts.  You will not be sorry if you make a pie.  Follow the directions exactly though, and read carefully, or you will be frustrated by a ziplock baggie full of crumbs! Knead the crumbs and they become pastry!

The lemon meringue pie is great and it’s the only one I’ve made that the meringue doesn’t shrink.

For Thanksgiving I like the pumpkin pie and the Cranberry Christmas galette.

Posted: 02 August 2010 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you Julie and BakerJD.  Definitely have to try a fruit pie first.  Right now in Ontario it is peach season.  The peach and cream tart hits the spot.  But I must try Rose’s apple pie in the fall.  I am embarrassed to admit this, but the last time I made an apple pie (which was many years ago)  we had to drain the pie before we could eat it.  I am sure this time around it will be much better.

Pumpkin Pie - I could eat it all year long.

Posted: 03 August 2010 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Liza, make sure you check the errata on the main blog and mark in your copy. If I remember, there was a mistake on the peaches/cream tart. Of course, the perfect peach pie would be a great choice for August as well.

Posted: 03 August 2010 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie - your posting inspired me. PP&B is one of most underused of Rose’s book in my house (that and the Bread Bible).
I’m glad to know that there’s a blueberry lemon curd pie? I’ll have to check it out. That sounds really good!

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2010 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, it is in the tart chapter.  I think sometimes it’s easy to overlook things in that chapter, but Rose bakes many “pies” in tart form, such as this one and the pecan pie.

Here’s Rose’s rendition of the blueberry-lemon curd tart:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/07/blueberry_lemon_tart.html

And here’s my version:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1190/P15/#11383

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 03 August 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie - you are wonderful. Thank you for the link to Rose’s version and your version. Both looks grand!
I was just thinking yesterday - after your comment on PP&B - that I should make a pie this month. I might make this one!
Now I wish I’m home so I can look at the recipe, smile.

Signature