How do I make fresh fruit scones not cakey
Posted: 02 August 2010 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-08-02

Hi,

I am a new member. I am trying to make blackberry scones and the scones come out cakey which is not the way I’d like them to be. I like Panera-type scones (blueberry, strawberry & white chocolate which I am addicted to) that are harder. So I guess my question is, what ingredient(s) determine whether a scone is cakey or not? Is it ratio of ingredients? Is it that I use unsalted butter?

Also, until I mix in the blackberries, the dough can be rolled, but after I mix the berries in the dough is a gooey mess. I have tried freezing the berries, tried cutting them into bits and kneading them in lightly, but I still end up with a mess. Even if I decrease the cream a bit to compensate for the liquid produced when the berries get added in.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks,
Joan

Posted: 02 August 2010 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

My first tip is to use dried berries, like blueberries.  My second tip is to use the recipe for scones in The Pie and Pastry Bible (I may have also seen it on this website) because they are the best scones I have ever tasted.  They are flaky, not cakey.  They taste like butter.  You will feel waves of guilt with every bite, but you won’t be able to stop eating this because they are so wonderful.  But eat them the day you make them because they are not as good the next day.

Posted: 03 August 2010 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-08-02

Thanks, I am going to try Rose’s recipe tonight. The reason I need to use fresh fruit is that I am using blackberries from my back yard, where I’ve got enough to feed the entire US Army <g>.

Posted: 29 August 2010 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

Maybe try macerating the berries in sugar to remove excess moisture?