dutch processed vs natural cocoa
Posted: 04 August 2010 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Does anyone know whether you can substitute natural cocao for dutch processed, for example in the chocolate layer ckae with caramel ganache on page 104 of the new book?  I thought I had diagnosed the problems I am having with the cake but I’m still having problems (its dense and gooey and tends to shrivel and collapse after cooling—and know its not the oven temperature) and think it might be because I’m using natural cocoa instead of dutch processed.  I vaguely recall reading somewhere among Rose’s writings that cakes using dutch processed cocoa are best leavened with baking powder and cakes with natural cocoa are best leveaned with baking soda.  Or maybe I’ve got them reversed.

Thanks

Posted: 04 August 2010 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-03-19

If your a fan of Callebaut cocoa the company has gone into receivership.

Posted: 04 August 2010 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

hds, your description does sound like the classic signs of underbaking- you’re sure about the oven temp?

I’m not sure if using natural cocoa would produce such dramatic problems, but maybe.  The acidity of the batter affects the point at which the eggs set.  You could try substituting all or part of the baking powder with baking soda, it’s a 4:1 powder to soda substitution.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 04 August 2010 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Here’s a great article on dutched and natural cocoa, what the differences are and when you can substitute. A good read for bakers.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2010/02/cocoa_powder_faq_dutch-process_v.html

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 04 August 2010 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09
Julie - 04 August 2010 01:05 PM

hds, your description does sound like the classic signs of underbaking- you’re sure about the oven temp?

I’m not sure if using natural cocoa would produce such dramatic problems, but maybe.  The acidity of the batter affects the point at which the eggs set.  You could try substituting all or part of the baking powder with baking soda, it’s a 4:1 powder to soda substitution.

I’m trying it again one more time as we speak using natural cocoa powder and a new oven thermometer.  I’m not going to do the powder - soda substitution yet. 

Thanks for your help everyone