Tres leches overflowing
Posted: 04 August 2010 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-06-10

Hi guys!

I havent told u guys but i am very happy cause i have finally had the chance in purchasing Rose’s book here where i live….i think its destiny cause it was the last copy of it and i have been looking for it for months now. Yehey for me! hehehhee!

The first cake that i did with it is the Tres Leches cake….it all went well except for the making of the leche mixture which was very time consuming (gas consuming..hehehe!)and the problem i have with it is…it has been in storage in the ref for about 8 hours already as of now and when i check it….the leche mixture is still pooling at the top of the cake….did i do something wrong with it? why is it not absorbing all of the leche mixture? 

Kindly help…thanks!...i really want to have a taste of it already….hahahaha!

Posted: 04 August 2010 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Jehuty, this cake makes its own sauce, so to speak.  It’s natural for some of the milk to leak out, just scoop it up with a spoon and ladle it over the pieces when you serve it.  Also, it helps to serve it on a plate with a lip so that it contains the extra milk mixture.

Enjoy!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 04 August 2010 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

The Tres Leches cake is very common in Mexico, where I live. Whenever I see it, there is always a pool of creamy liquid. This is OK. Julie makes a good suggestion—serve it in a dish that can hold the liquid.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 05 August 2010 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-10

hi guys! thanks for the suggestions! i did serve it on a cake server with a lip on it. Unfortunately me and the rest of my family didnt like the cake cause it was sooooo soggy…its like i was eating a slice of bread that was soaked in milk…i really didnt like it…Oh well….what do u suggest i do next? i am thinking of the Genoise cake but i cant seem to understand/get how to make beurre noisette..any ideas?

Posted: 05 August 2010 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

J, buerre noisette isn’t hard, once you’ve done it.  It’s bascially putting butter in a pan and cooking it until the solids turn brown.  Then strain out the solids.  If you don’t have a very fine strainer you can use a coffee filter, and if you don’t have that you can just slowly pour off the butter, leaving the solids at the bottom of the pan.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2010 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-10

Thanks Julie! i am excited to try it! wish me luck! hehehe!

good day! smile

Posted: 06 August 2010 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-09-09

I don’t think you did anything wrong.  Tres Leches is not for everyone.  It does have a very different texture.  Either you love it (like me) or you think it’s very strange!

Posted: 01 February 2011 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-11-29

I am fascinated by this cake and want to make it. But from reading the recipe it sounds to me as if it’s supposed to be just very moist, not soggy, even though a little liquid may leach out. I mean, if it were too soggy it wouldn’t have enough structure to hold its shape. Is this correct?

Posted: 02 February 2011 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

That’s basically correct.  It is completely soaked and wet with the milk mixture, yet holds its shape.

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2011 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-02-06

I actually thought there was something ‘wrong’ with Rose’s Tres Leches cake, because there wasn’t a pool of milk in the photo.  Glad to hear that there is.  :  )