Substitution question
Posted: 04 August 2010 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have a request to make a vanilla cake but they need it made with unbleached flour and pure cane sugar.  I have never done this before and I don’t know if this can be done with one of Rose’s cakes.  I told her I would get back to her as to whether or not I can make this cake.  If it is going to cause me alot of headaches I personally don’t want to make it.

Posted: 04 August 2010 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Search “power of flour” on the main blog, and you will see Rose’s latest work on using unbleached flour for cakes.

Posted: 04 August 2010 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

For the flour, would Kate Flour work here? 
For the sugar, cane sugar is just regular refined sugar—i.e., some countries use beet sugar, but regular brands, like Domino, are all cane sugar.  If you want it superfine, just whir it in your food processor for a minute or so (which is what I always do).

Posted: 04 August 2010 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Matthew.  Great read.  From what I have read, if I decrease the baking powder by 1/8 of a teaspoon per 7oz of unbleached all purpose flour, I should be able to get a nice rise and barely any dipping in the middle of my cake.  Do you know if this is for the All Occassion downey yellow butter cake, or does it apply to all of Rose’s butter cakes?

I have asked my friend to find out the exact name of sugar which she needs.  Your right Anne, cane sugar is regular granulated sugar, so it must be something else.

Posted: 04 August 2010 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
Liza - 04 August 2010 02:50 PM

I have a request to make a vanilla cake but they need it made with unbleached flour and pure cane sugar.  I have never done this before and I don’t know if this can be done with one of Rose’s cakes.  I told her I would get back to her as to whether or not I can make this cake.  If it is going to cause me alot of headaches I personally don’t want to make it.

I’ve used the unbleached cake flour from King Arthur’s and it works ok with no other substitutions required.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 August 2010 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, for butter/oil cakes I always use unbleached AP flour with 15% of the weight substituted with Potato Starch (or 10% cornstarch). It works very well for these types of cakes.

It doesn’t work very well for genoise or sponge cake that needs to be fluffy and rise high. The result tend to be very short and denser - so for these I tend to stick with cake flour/bleached AP.

Is the vanilla cake butter/oil cakes?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 August 2010 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Jenn, it is the All Occassion Downey Yellow buttercake.  So it is a butter cake.  I will maybe do a test run with the substitution of cornstarch.  I also read that Rose reduced the baking powder by 1/8 of a teaspoon per 7 oz of flour instead of the substitution.  Maybe I will try that too.