Pastry board
Posted: 04 August 2010 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-04-22

Are they worth it?  And, what brand is good?

I have seen them on amazon and I would prefer not to roll on my counter.  They seem well worth the money.

Signature 

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.  ~Author Unknown

Posted: 04 August 2010 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose recommends this one:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/06/terrific_new_discovery_just_in.html

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 04 August 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-22

Thank you, Julie.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2010 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

I made a pastry board.  I bought a cutting board at the thrift store and sanitized it and sanded it smooth.  I bought some heavy white canvas in the fabric section at the craft store.  You want unsized canvas, unlike the stuff in the art section that is sized/sealed/gessoed.  Then I covered the cutting board with the canvas. I stretched the canvas tight and stapled it to the board, so it is nice and tight.  It is tight enough to scrape it with the bench scrapper and not tear it.  I floured it with rice flour.  It works great!  I can store it in the closet in one of those XXL zip lock bags to keep it clean.

Posted: 07 August 2010 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-22
kayakado - 05 August 2010 07:07 PM

I made a pastry board.  I bought a cutting board at the thrift store and sanitized it and sanded it smooth.  I bought some heavy white canvas in the fabric section at the craft store.  You want unsized canvas, unlike the stuff in the art section that is sized/sealed/gessoed.  Then I covered the cutting board with the canvas. I stretched the canvas tight and stapled it to the board, so it is nice and tight.  It is tight enough to scrape it with the bench scrapper and not tear it.  I floured it with rice flour.  It works great!  I can store it in the closet in one of those XXL zip lock bags to keep it clean.

Sounds like a plan.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2010 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

My personal preference is a pastry cloth and rolling pin cover, as it works great, and you can just keep it in a zip bag in the freezer and not have to worry about cleaning it. I see Rose recommends the dough mat now, but I haven’t tried one yet.

Posted: 17 August 2010 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Anyone using a Silpat for pastry - I hear it is non stick?I don’t like the idea of pastry cloths and our parchment paper and plastic wrap is only available in narrow widths where I stay.  Is Silpat a worthwhile alternative?