Which Converson Level to use when converting Cakes to Cupcakes
Posted: 04 August 2010 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-08-04

Hello. I currently own the Cake Bible and Roses Heavenly Cakes and am so glad to have stumbled upon this site. I’m hoping someone can help me out with a few question I have.

1. Can I convert any cake from the cake bible to cupcakes? I am thinking about the white velvet butter cake and chocolate fudge cake.

2. Which level/size cake should I choose from the master conversion chart to bake at least 24 cupcakes? ie) Will the batter of 6 inch cake be enough to make 24 regular sized cupcakes?

3. How long should I bake the cupcakes for as I believe the baking time changes from cakes to cupcakes?

4. Can any cake in this book be converted to a different size? ie) which rose factor should I use to make a 9 x 13 chocolate fudge cake or any other cake?

I plan on baking cupcakes this weekend and hope they are not domed or have the cup cake liners seperate as I have read on this blog that some people have had this issue. Fingers crossed. :D

I would really appreciate if someone could answer these questions for me…... the amateur baker smile

Posted: 04 August 2010 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, cupcake and welcome!

With respect to your first question, I’m pretty sure that at the back of RHC where the carious cupcakes are and the picture of the cupcake tower, there’s a recipe for White Velvet Cupcakes.

Unfortunately, I can’t be of help with your other questions, as I am an amateur myself!!  I know you will get the answers you’re looking for, though.

Meanwhile, welcome!! Take pics of your baking this weekend if you can and post!

Posted: 05 August 2010 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Okay, I’ve got my books in front of me and a few more answers for you!

> White Velvet Butter Cupcakes are on page 298 of RHC.
> Converting cakes to cupcakes is on page 164 of TCB (top left page in the paragraph re “Tips for Showcase Cakes: Extra Buttercream”.  It says how much makes how much, how to change the leavening, how much to fill the muffin papers and how long to bake!

Good luck again!

—ak

Posted: 05 August 2010 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Your choices, the chocolate fudge and the white velvet, will bake up into beautiful cupcakes.  Not every cake in TCB will.

I have made the chocolate fudge cake into cupcakes many times, they are my favorite chocolate cupcake because they are a little lighter and fluffier than, for instance, the domingo.  I don’t change a thing, not even the leavening, because I enjoy a cupcake with a rounded top. 

If your goal is a flat top cupcake, then increase the leavening as Anne suggests.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 05 August 2010 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-04

Thank you Anne and Julie.

Anne, I believe page 164 of TCB doesn’t mention the white velvet cake. It talks about the yellow cake and chocolate butter cake if I remember correctly. I don’t have the book with me right now but will look at it tonight. I wonder if the the same rules from page 164 apply to the white velvet cake?

Julie, when you bake the cupcakes how many cupcakes do you get with one batch of the white velvet which is normally baked in a 9inch round pan? Do you think the white velvet recipe which bakes in a 9 inch pan will yield 12 or 24 regular sized cupcakes? Also do you bake it for the full 30 to 35 minutes?

Also do any of you experts know if I can bake a 9 x 13 chocolate fudge cake or domingo cake using the conversion chart at the back of the book?

Sorry I am asking so many questions. I am just trying to make sure I understand all the rules before I try to bake all this smile

Thanks!

Posted: 05 August 2010 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I believe page 164 of TCB doesn?t mention the white velvet cake.

Hi, Cupcake!

You are correct—the page 164 reference is to converting cakes to cupcakes in general and might be useful as a guide.

Hope that’s helpful!  That’s great news from Julie re the fudge cake/cupcakes!

Posted: 06 August 2010 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-04

Anne, thank you so much! I just went through the RHC and found the White velvet cupcakes on page 298. This recipe makes 14 to 16 cupcakes. I guess I’ll have to make a double batch to get at least 24 cupcakes. You have been very helpful….thanks again! smile

Posted: 07 August 2010 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Yay, Cupcake! 

By the way, I edited the post of mine direclty above yours—it was inaccurate before.  Looking forward to hearing how they come out and how evryone loves them!

Posted: 10 September 2010 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-04

Sorry for taking so long to respond. So last month I went ahead and made chocolate cupcakes (recipe from TCB) and I had a problem with the cupcake liners not sticking to the cupcake itself confused I was able to fix the issue by piping a little buttercream to act as glue between the cupcake and the cupcake liner.  Also I didn’t convert the recipe and just went ahead and made the quantity for a 9 inch cake. The cupcakes took about 20 mins or so to bake. I’m happy to report the cupcakes looked and tasted great!  grin

Posted: 10 September 2010 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Yay, cupcake!  I’m so glad everything went well!

With respect to the following:

I had a problem with the cupcake liners not sticking to the cupcake itself

This seems to be something that plagues many, and you will find several posts filled with screams of agony, gnashing teeth and supplications to various dieties—along with promises to surrender their firstborn—if only the cause of this problem could be finally isolated and eliminated for good!!

Posted: 14 September 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

If making the chocolate fudge cake into cupcakes or the chocolate butter cupcakes recipe; will the dreamy creamy white chocolate frosting pair well?  I am going to make one or the other this weekend and need a white frosting for piping stars for Elmo fur on the cupcakes.  I will be coloring this red.  Thanks for your help.

Posted: 14 September 2010 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

If it were me, I’d use vanilla or white chocolate mousseline.  I think the cream cheese bc can be soft for piping (it works, but you might have to periodically chill the bag).  Also, I’m just not generally a fan of chocolate and cream cheese (for example, I don’t like chocolate cheesecake).  But I do love Rose’s brownies, which have a little cream cheese in them, so maybe it’s a matter of balance.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe