marble cake
Posted: 05 August 2010 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-05

LOVE the marble cake. I have been asked to make it in 13X9 and other layers. I have decreased the baking powder in small increments, even decresed the soda a bit, but it still sinks some in the middle. Is there any way to convert this recipe to other pans besides a tube pan?? The Rose conversion formula works great for the cakes listed, but I haven’t found anything for the marble cake. Thanks!

Posted: 05 August 2010 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-10-01

I second this request! I’ve tried Rose’s recipe as well in 8 inch round pans, and it always bakes well in the oven, and then the middle sinks way down after it comes out. I’m not sure what to do. I’d love to do it in larger pans as well, but I’m afraid of the same thing. I tried using a rose nail with only a slight difference, so that didn’t help much. If anyone has a solution, I’d love to hear it!

Posted: 07 August 2010 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Angelpie, the method you describe is my understanding of how Rose came up with the Rose factor. Just by baking each layer multiple times until she hit the right amount. You may just have to keep experimenting, although I wonder if Rose chose a tube pan for this cake because of this issue—not sure.

You basically need the cake to have a stronger structure to keep from dipping. Besides lowering the baking powder (BP weakens the structure), another idea would be to replace some of the yolks with whites, as they provide a stronger structure.

Posted: 09 August 2010 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Is it possible that you’re overfilling the pans a bit so that their max baking rise (not finished height) is taller than the pan’s sides?

Posted: 09 August 2010 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

I had the same issue with the Marble Velvet Cake from RHC.  I did some experimenting last year based on suggestions from some people.  See this thread for some of the recommendations and posted results of my tests.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1481/P15/

Instead of a fluted tube pan, I wanted to use a 12in 3D star pan.  I had the same dipping problems.  To solve it, I used AP flour instead of cake flour (for stronger structure) and I used a heating core.  The core was also filled with batter to the same level.  After baking, I popped out the small cake from the core and inserted it in the middle using the buttercream to glue the center to the cake.  So for me, the AP flour substitution and the heating core was what solved this problem.

Jess

Posted: 13 January 2011 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-11-21

Thank you, Jessjose. I’m going to check out your post with recommendations. That’s exactly the question I was about to pose on the forum :D

Hana?
http://HanaasKitchen.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 May 2011 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-03-06

I was wanting to make this cake in a 10” square and 9” round cake. Anyone know how to adapt the recipe for these sizes? I’m not sure how many cups each pan takes. As well as adjusting the baking powder?