1 of 2
chocolate layer cake with caramel ganache
Posted: 05 August 2010 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Has anyone made this cake found on page 104 of Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.  I’m attaching a picture of my results

First I thought it was the oven temperature, then the brand of flour and/or the fact that i initially wasn’t using Dutch processed cocoa that was causing the cake to shirvel and collapse.

I corrected everything (new oven thermometer, dutch processed cocoa etc and followed the recipe exactly including using a timer to track mixing time.).

The cake is exactly 1 and 1/4 inches high.  To my eye it looks low especially since the description in the recipe refers to “a higher cake layer” due to the addition of oil.  Unfortunately the new cookbook doesn’t include the heights that the layers are expected to rise to.

And it may just be my taste perception or I’m expecting the wrong thing, but it feels denser in the mouth than I was expecting.  The recipe describes a “finer, moister crumb”  I’m wondering if I’m just expecting something different or if the cake is not rising and setting correctly because of something I am doing wrong.

I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who has made this cake.

Best wishes

Image Attachments
SDC11309.jpg

Posted: 05 August 2010 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  920
Joined  2009-05-25

Is this the Devil’s Food Cake?  I suspect not, but my book isn’t handy.  I recall having some issues with cakes in the new book and the appropriate height.  I think it’s a combination of the right temp., fresh bp, and all other things!  There is a post under OUTCAKES that shows the height of the finished cake http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/11/outcakes_basic_chocolate_layer_1.html  and it is higher than 1.25” Also, was it baked long enough?  A cake will shrink and fall if not baked enough.

I do miss the finished measurements from TCB as that was my benchmark for knowing if the cake is successfully baked.

Posted: 05 August 2010 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-05-05

Hi

I made this cake back in May.  The photos I took are on my blog (Sorry, I tried to attach a photo but I’m having difficulty doing it) and the cake seems to be about the same height as yours (if you scroll down to the middle of the blog entry you’ll see the un-iced cake).  So, I don’t think you went too wrong in terms of it rising properly…..unless we both went wrong somewhere smile
http://sugarcoatedbliss.com/2010/05/10/happy-birthday-to-me-happy-mothers-day-to-all/

As for the crumb…....I found mine to be moist and to have a tender crumb.  Did you cover the cocoa/water mixture while you were preparing the rest of the ingredients?

Signature 

http://www.sugarcoatedbliss.com

Posted: 06 August 2010 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-09
Sherrie - 06 August 2010 01:19 AM

Is this the Devil’s Food Cake?  I suspect not, but my book isn’t handy.  I recall having some issues with cakes in the new book and the appropriate height.  I think it’s a combination of the right temp., fresh bp, and all other things!  There is a post under OUTCAKES that shows the height of the finished cake http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/11/outcakes_basic_chocolate_layer_1.html  and it is higher than 1.25” Also, was it baked long enough?  A cake will shrink and fall if not baked enough.

I do miss the finished measurements from TCB as that was my benchmark for knowing if the cake is successfully baked.

Thanks for your response. This is a different cake.  I think the baking time was correct.  It was firm to the touch and a clean tooth pickk came out after exactly thirty minutes.  I’m more concerned the crumb is wrong than anything else.  Too dense.  If anything too moist.

Thanks again.

Posted: 06 August 2010 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-09
sugar addict - 06 August 2010 02:45 AM

Hi

I made this cake back in May.  The photos I took are on my blog (Sorry, I tried to attach a photo but I’m having difficulty doing it) and the cake seems to be about the same height as yours (if you scroll down to the middle of the blog entry you’ll see the un-iced cake).  So, I don’t think you went too wrong in terms of it rising properly…..unless we both went wrong somewhere smile
http://sugarcoatedbliss.com/2010/05/10/happy-birthday-to-me-happy-mothers-day-to-all/

As for the crumb…....I found mine to be moist and to have a tender crumb.  Did you cover the cocoa/water mixture while you were preparing the rest of the ingredients?

They do look to be the same height.  I did cover the cocoa mixture so I don’t think anything evaporated.  I’m just not sure where this dense, gummy texture is coming from.

Thanks again.

Posted: 06 August 2010 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16
hds123 - 06 August 2010 03:13 AM

I’m just not sure where this dense, gummy texture is coming from.

Sounds like it could be unbleached flour, or cold butter or eggs, or underbaking.  If you have an instant read thermometer you could take the internal temp when it’s done, so that you have some idea.  Also, it should be fully baking within the time indicated (i.e., not taking longer). 

This cake is similar to the All-American Chocolate Torte (p. 56) in TCB, with changes to the water and oil.  My best guess is that your cake should at least be as high as the AACT, which is 1 3/4 inches.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 06 August 2010 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-09
Julie - 06 August 2010 12:17 PM
hds123 - 06 August 2010 03:13 AM

I’m just not sure where this dense, gummy texture is coming from.

Sounds like it could be unbleached flour, or cold butter or eggs, or underbaking.  If you have an instant read thermometer you could take the internal temp when it’s done, so that you have some idea.  Also, it should be fully baking within the time indicated (i.e., not taking longer). 

This cake is similar to the All-American Chocolate Torte (p. 56) in TCB, with changes to the water and oil.  My best guess is that your cake should at least be as high as the AACT, which is 1 3/4 inches.

Thanks.  I’m doing something wrong and I can’t figure it out.  I am using bleached flour (Goldmedal) and using butter and eggs at about 65%.  The cake is definitely done at 30 minutes.  I’ve had trouble with this cake and with the devil foods cake and think I’m going to give up.

Posted: 07 August 2010 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

All I can think of is to try it with Cake Flour, maybe the AP is too heavy to get a light, high result?  Feel free to query Rose over on the Cake Questions Three thread in the blog.

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2010 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-09
Julie - 07 August 2010 01:17 PM

All I can think of is to try it with Cake Flour, maybe the AP is too heavy to get a light, high result?  Feel free to query Rose over on the Cake Questions Three thread in the blog.

Thanks again.  I also thought it might be the flour.  I’ve tried both Gold medal and a store brand of bleached all purpose flour with the same results.  Ill give it one more try before I see if Rose has any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Posted: 07 August 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

How old is your leavening? I doubt that’s the problem, but always something to consider, especially if you’ve already checked everything else.

Posted: 09 August 2010 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-09

The leavening is fresh.  I made the chocolate butter cake from the cake bible using cake flour to boost my ego and it came out fine.  For the unsuccesful chocolate cake attempts from the new book I’ve been using Gold Medal bleached all purpose flour.  I’m going to make one more attempt today with cake flour to see if that might be the culprit.

Posted: 09 August 2010 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Good luck, and please report back!

Signature 

Posted: 11 August 2010 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-09

well it wasn’t the unbleached all purpose flour!!  I got the same result

Posted: 12 August 2010 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

hds, I’m sorry to hear that your latest effort didn’t work out better, but I admire your perseverence! I know the feeling, though. Before I bought RHC, I was having the same issues with a chocolate cake recipe from Flo Braker…it worked perfectly ONCE, then the next three times I made it, i got varying degrees of “flops”.  It either shrunk after baking, had a dark chocolate line at the bottom, was too dense, etc.  And I thought I was doing everything I’d apparently done right the first time (guess that was just dumb luck!).  Anyway, there were so many variables (like adding a whole cup of lukewarm coffee at the end—that always made me nervous!) I never did figure out what I was doing wrong.  I’ve learned a lot from reading this blog and maybe I will get the gumption up to try it one more time.  So are you going to give it one more try??  Or move on to the next chocolate cake??

Posted: 12 August 2010 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry to hear the problem hasn’t been fixed yet.  You could ask Rose, she may at least have a finished cake height in her notes.

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2010 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-09
Loopy - 12 August 2010 07:12 AM

hds, I’m sorry to hear that your latest effort didn’t work out better, but I admire your perseverence! I know the feeling, though. Before I bought RHC, I was having the same issues with a chocolate cake recipe from Flo Braker…it worked perfectly ONCE, then the next three times I made it, i got varying degrees of “flops”.  It either shrunk after baking, had a dark chocolate line at the bottom, was too dense, etc.  And I thought I was doing everything I’d apparently done right the first time (guess that was just dumb luck!).  Anyway, there were so many variables (like adding a whole cup of lukewarm coffee at the end—that always made me nervous!) I never did figure out what I was doing wrong.  I’ve learned a lot from reading this blog and maybe I will get the gumption up to try it one more time.  So are you going to give it one more try??  Or move on to the next chocolate cake??

Yes.  It has been frustrating. In the interim I’ve made the all american chocolate torte and the chocolate butter cake from the Cake Bible, both without any problems!!  Complete success.  Tender moist and tall.  I just don’t understand it.

That cake recipe from Flo Braker sounds very familiar, especially that whole cup of lukewarm coffee.  I think I tried it with no success.

The dark chocolate line at the bottom, density and shrinking that you mention are all problems that I have had with the chocolate cakes from the new book that I’ve tried.  I can state unequivocally that its not the oven temperature.  I’ve got more thermometers, most of them acquired within the last three weeks, than I can count.  All read the same temperature.

I think I will give either the chocolate layer cake or devils food cake one more try before asking Rose for suggestions.

Thanks for your help everyone.

1 of 2