2 of 2
chocolate layer cake with caramel ganache
Posted: 14 August 2010 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-03-24

I made this cake today and had the same problem with the height as hds123.  I am in Australia, so in my case the flour could have been the problem.  I used a flour called “Lighthouse Cake, Biscuit and Pastry Plain Flour” which is an unbleached, low protein flour (8.7g per 100g).  (We cannot get bleached flour here.) I have previously made a few cakes out of RHC’s with this flour and up until now, not had any flops.  This one was very disappointing as I did weigh and measure everything correctly and followed every instruction as the recipe said but got a very small rise cake.  I even checked my oven temperature before baking.  My baking powder is fresh and was used a week ago with another cake and it worked out fine.  I had made this cake for visitors coming, so I was apologetic to them about the size of the cake.  I don’t think they cared too much as the choc-caramel ganache and the taste of the cake made up for the lack of height.  smile  I have learned a valuable lesson now to test bake first before doing it for guests, especially with the differences here with ingredients!  (I still love and will keep baking Rose’s cakes regardless of the outcome.)

Posted: 14 August 2010 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

I’m surprised you’ve been able to use unbleached flour with success in other recipes.  Though given my failed attempts with the two cakes in question even using bleached all purpose flour and bleached cake flour in any number of attempts at the devils food and chocolate layer cake with no success, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.

As far as my own failed attempts go, its summer in San Francisco which is cold.  My kitchen is very cold and the butter rarely gets much above 65% farenheit.  In my most recent baking attempts I made a couple of chocolate cakes from teh Cake Bible on a warmer than average day and I noticed that the butter was considerably softer.  The cakes were successful and now I am wondering if my butter has been too cold in the attempts with the cakes from the new book that didn’t work out.

Still in all cases the butter and eggs were at a minimum of 65 farenheit which according to the instructions is within the acceptable temperature range.

Posted: 15 August 2010 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-03-24

That is pretty cold for Summer hds123.  It’s Winter here and today the temperature only reached 13C (55F).  Yesterday when I baked, it was only about 14C but I had the heating on at about 20C (68F).  I left my eggs and butter out on the bench for half of the day before I started, so they should have been ok but I didn’t actually take the temperature to check.

I have had some really good results with that flour, surprisingly.  So far I have made the Double Chocolate Valentine Cake, Banana Refrigerator Cake, Apple Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake, Classic Carrot Cake and the Chocolate Butter Cupcakes all with fantastic results!  I have not tried any of the sponge type cakes yet but I would love to do one to see what happens as I’m curious as to what the result would be.  I am interested to know whether the sugar in Rose’s recipes could be substituted with a natural sweetener such as agave, stevia or xylitol to achieve a successful result as I have been on a diet which limits sugar intake and I really miss my sweets!

Posted: 28 February 2011 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-01-30

Hi, i realize this thread is quite old but what the hey! I’ve also had problems with the finished height of the layer cake, but have yet to analyse the crumb (mine are between 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches high). I’m also baking in Australia but with bleached AP flour from Manildra (bought from Harkola in Auburn). On the whole cakes baked with unbleached flour are edible, and in some cases nicer to eat than those baked with bleached. Although the bleached gives a higher rise and more even crumb, the denser crumb of the unbleached cakes translates to moistness and the flavour is preferable (allows the banana to shine through…). I’ve only tried this with banana cake though and it wasn’t a Rose recipe! Much experimentation is needed raspberry

Posted: 28 February 2011 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-01-30

I forgot to add that my batter was very runny compared to the others and i do use a scale…

2 of 2