1 of 2
Carrot cake
Posted: 11 August 2010 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Here is the carrot cake I made for a friend. She’s taking it to her husband’s company party, so don’t have any pictures of what it looks like inside.

How do you attach pictures as a thumbnail that you click on if you want to see it as a larger image in a separate window?

Thanks.

Posted: 11 August 2010 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I made this cake for the second time yesterday but I haven’t decorated it yet.  Which frosting have you used?  It looks very good.  I thought of doing the frosting without the white chocolate this time although the chocolate one is VERY good I thought I’d try the one without.

I don’t know how others do their pictures on here but I use a website called RESIZE IMAGES ONLINE , you might be able to Google it, it works for me!

Posted: 11 August 2010 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-08-11

Very nice! Bet it tastes as good as it looks - thanks for sharing the photo!

Posted: 11 August 2010 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thank you, jeanette. I decorated this with a cream cheese frosting and garnished the side with chopped pecans. This is a four-layer cake and I used the frosting as filling between the layers, but there were no pecans in that, only on the outside. I recently made the white chocolate mousseline buttercream frosting and I loved it. I’d like to try the white chocolate version of this frosting. I have a feeling I would like it a lot.

Welcome to the forum, G’MaMa. smile Thank you for the kind words. I won’t get to eat any of this, but I did level the layers before assembling the cake and I put some of the frosting on it and it does taste good. Carrot cake is not my favorite, but this recipe is a pretty good one. I used the recipe from allrecipes.com that SweetNess modified a little with her own creativity (thank you, SweetNess).

Posted: 11 August 2010 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Very attractive cake! Wish I had a piece right now to go with my morning coffee.  smile

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 11 August 2010 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Beautiful Carrot Cake MP, looks so yummy. One of my favorites.  grin

Posted: 11 August 2010 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

MP, that is one beautiful cake!!!!! Carrot cake is one of my personal faves, and I KNOW that is going to be a good one!!  Can’t wait to hear your friends’ comments—I know they’ll be raves.

Posted: 11 August 2010 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautiful cake, MP!  Happy to hear you liked the white choc mousseline, I think I’m nearly convinced to try it, even though I’ve avoided it for ages (wh choc not my favorite).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 August 2010 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

MP, that cake is so amazing! Your friend is so lucky to have you as their friend!

Posted: 11 August 2010 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Beautiful cake! Love the idea with the pecans on the side!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 August 2010 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I’m doing it on Friday/Sat for the second time. I think I’ll only bake one layer, as it’s for a shower, and there will be at least 2 other desserts. Can’t wait to make it again.

Posted: 11 August 2010 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thank you for the kind words and compliments, everyone. smile

What shape are you baking your cake, knit1bake1? I believe most recipes will make enough batter to fill two 9” round pans or one 9x13 rectangular pan.

Posted: 11 August 2010 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I’m planning on making a half recipe (one 9 inch layer, with the creamy dreamy frosting), as I did the first time when it was for me and my husband. I realize I could make the full size, but I don’t want to take away from the desserts the host is making. Of course I’m assuming that mine will be better, LOL. So I figure people can take a small sliver of mine, and some of the other things.

Posted: 11 August 2010 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Wonderful looking cake MP!  I absolutely love carrot cake, especially with pecans.  I love the swirl design ontop.  Was it hard to do?  You have one lucky friend indeed.  Too bad you weren’t able to taste it.

Posted: 12 August 2010 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Of course, a half recipe! I don’t know why I didn’t think about that. I’m sure however much you end up taking to the shower it will be loved by all.

Thank you, Liza. To make the swirl pattern on top I use the tip of my small offset spatula. I start by placing the tip in the center of the cake and then pull it towards the edge of the cake and then pull it to the side a little about 1.5-2 inches from the edge to create that curl effect at the edge. When I start the next swirl I slightly overlap the tip of the spatula in the previously made swirl. Of course you can do the swirls in either direction. In this case you can see I pulled the tip of the spatula a little to my right at the end and I was adding the swirls in a counterclockwise direction on top of the cake. Of course if you make your swirls in the opposite direction you’ll be adding them to the cake in a clockwise direction. When I do this I usually cover the center with chopped nuts or something else.

If you’re good with making other shapes in the frosting, which I’m not, you can make a pattern in the center instead of covering it. The one shape I can make is a circular swirl. I hold the spatula upright and make a concentric circle starting on the outside of the circle and work towards the center. Once you’re at the center you pull up the tip and that will pull a little of the frosting with it creating a little peak in the center of the swirl. A swirl slightly smaller than a half dollar makes a good size swirl in the center. Be careful once you’re finished, though. If you turn the cake on the turntable when it’s done, watching the swirl pattern can be very hypnotic.

smile

Posted: 12 August 2010 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Oh my!  Your carrot cake is so pretty.  I like the center decoration, it makes it look like a beautiful carrot cake flower.  Thanks for the description on how you did the swirls, will have to try that sometime!

1 of 2