1 of 2
Angel food cake falls out of pan
Posted: 09 March 2008 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-09

I’ve tried the chocolate angel food cake recipe and the orange chiffon cake recipe and each time I invert the pan, the cake falls out about 10 minutes into the cooling process.  it’s a traditional aluminum angel food tube pan and it’s not non-stick.  I never grease the pan and I wash and dry it thoroughly, so I’m not sure why this is happening!  Do I need to get a new pan?  The cake is delicious (albeit a bit squashed) but I can’t serve it to guests.

Posted: 09 March 2008 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I think I remember Rose saying in the video lecture posted on the main site that even a slight draft can cause the cake to fall out of the pan.

Posted: 10 March 2008 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2007-11-19

I’m so glad to hear that I’m not the only one in this boat. The same thing happens to my angel and chiffon cakes, without fail. They taste great but aren’t particularly pretty. It’s so frustrating to see this beautiful creation slowly sliding into a heap after 10 minutes. I’ve tried several traditional pans i.e. shiny, no grease and not non-stick (now have 3) with the same results, so I don’t think the pan is the problem. Baking 911 has a thread on this but the guru there had no solution to offer.

Rose, on her video, mentions three possible causes: high humidity, draft and underbaking which I take to mean the oven temp is lower than 325F. Most other recipes bake at 350F. I’m going to work my way through these variables and see if I can figure it out.

I think I’ll preheat my oven to 350F . The temp will automatically drop a bit when I open the oven door to put the pan in and then I’ll reduce the thermostat to 325F. I do not think where I live has particularly high humidity. It’s summer and averaging about 60%. However, I will try and bake on a day when humidity is about 40% and make sure there is no draft.  Will post if I have a breakthrough!

Posted: 10 March 2008 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Another possible underbaking scenario is placing the angel food cake pan too high in the oven - this will cause the top of the cake to brown too quickly, thereby forcing the baker to remove it from the oven to keep it from burning… unfortunately that results in an underbaked interior (ie lack of structural integrity).

Angel food cake pans should be placed on a rack that is positioned in the lower third of the oven - additionally, because AF cakes can rise quite a bit during baking, I like to remove any racks from the oven that are positioned above the cake pan (just in case).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 March 2008 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Are you cooling your pan on a bottle?  The built in legs are not enough clearance.  A suspended baking rack would be a questionable make-shift, since the rack will heat up.

Use an Orangina bottle, or if your tube pan has a tube hole wide enough use a San Peligrino bottle which gives you the ultimate clearance!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 10 March 2008 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

Patrincia & Hector - I bake in lower third of oven for recommended time and cool on bottle. Cakes brown nicely, no wet streaks inside. I have even tried baking in ungreased, not non-stick, metal, 9 inch pans thinking there would be less mass to pull it down but no luck - still fell out. I love the this style of cake so I’m not giving up. Any further comments appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: 11 March 2008 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks to everyone for your replies - so helpful!  I don’t think it’s underbaking - the underside (and I get a good look at it when it falls out) is fully baked and there are no wetspots or streaks.  I suspect it’s the draft.  Both times I tried this I had my windows open in the kitchen and other rooms and there was a cool cross breeze.  I’ll try again but with all windows shut. 
And the bottle I use is an old champagne bottle, which works well as it has a wide base ; ) 
I’ll report back after I try the recipe in a non-breezy room!

Posted: 18 March 2008 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I would suspect over baking. It sounds like the cake is shrinking away from the sides of the pan. Angel food needs to cool/cook in the inverted pan slowly. Try decreasing your bake times by 5 minutes?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 18 March 2008 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

Hmm…that’s cake for thought. Will try that out. Thanks

Posted: 18 March 2008 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Overbaking - hmmmm, hadn’t though of that.

I use and uncoated aluminum pan that has a very light “ribbed” texture inside (maybe “horizontal grain” would be a better way of describing it).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 March 2008 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-02-03

I attended that lecture that Rose gave on flour, where she baked her angel food cake.  I went home and baked it with glorious results!  One thing that she did that made a lot of sense was, before adding all of the batter to the pan, she took a spatula full of batter and wiped it on the sides to ensure that no air pockets would form on the side of the cake during baking.  Perhaps this is also a trick for getting it to adhere to the sides properly???  could be!

Posted: 19 March 2008 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

I’d totally forgotten that snippet from the video. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted: 18 November 2008 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

OK…so my angel food cakes are falling out of the pan and never did before.  It looks like they are really shrinking…a lot.

Posted: 19 November 2008 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi Bill,  I have the same problem with chiffon cakes and have given it a lot of thought.  I don’t have the magic answer, but here are some possibilities.

The cake is “steaming”, from too much water/egg white in the batter or not enough clearance under the pan while cooling, or as mentioned above, from high humidity. 

A draft while cooling, mentioned in other posts.

Baking too long or hot- I noticed with chiffon cupcakes, that the ones at the corners, which cook more quickly than those in the middle, shrink a lot more than the less-cooked ones.  The least shrinkage seems to coincide with an internal temp of about 185, not sure if this temp translates from chiffon to angel food, but you get the idea- overbaking causes excessive shrinking.

good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 November 2008 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

JULIE:
Good morning to you. I enjoyed reading your post explaining the possible failure of the pre~mature cake releasing from a tube pan. I do believe you are in the ball park with your thoughts. As you know & mentioned in your 2nd paragraph, “STEAMING”.
There is much water in egg whites. When water is heated we have steam somewhere. That somewhere is in the bubbles that make up the baked product, it is housed in there. Now then Julie, when steam becomes cooler it turns into a liquid. This liquid not only provides lubrication to the sides of the pan but water is very heavy as well. Hence the premature release. My culinary imagination tells me that in order to get rid of this problem you can by banging the pan on the counter surface a few times that will break these bubbles so that the steam can be released & evaporate???. My imagination sometimes runs overtime. I cannot figure out why this happens. However, if tha recipe is posted & the directions of how the baker prepared these ingredients, we then can determine the “WHY” of this predicament…. maybe.
  Julie do you have any further ideas???.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 21 November 2008 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

My cakes are shrinking…really shrinking out of the pan…when they are cool they are much smaller than the pan.  I used to make angel food cake all the time without having this problem.  I do have both a new oven and a new angelfood recipe.  I’m going to go back to my original recipe which never fell out of the pan and see what happens. Perhaps I’m over baking, perhaps its my oven…although I can’t imagine what the problem with the oven could be.

1 of 2