2 of 2
Angel food cake falls out of pan
Posted: 21 November 2008 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Bill—going back to original recipe / original pan sounds like a good idea. That will let you test if it’s something about the oven. Let us know how it turns out!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 04 January 2009 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-01-20

I am SO GLAD to have found this thread!  I thought I was the only one whose cakes kept falling out of the pan.  Like many of you, I’ve bought different pans - the one I am now using is aluminum with feet and still, not much success.  I don’t rely on the feet, but invert over a thin necked, but short, wine bottle.  I thought my problem was related to not beating the whites long enough or poor folding technique, but perhaps, it’s neither.  I’ve tried so many different recipes for chocolate angel food cake and the cakes never rise to full height and usually fall out of the pan after 10 minutes.  My family loves these cakes because they taste great, but I would never serve them for company because they look puny and smooshed.  I bake in the lower 3rd of the oven at 350 degrees for 35-38 minutes.  The cakes stick to the pan when I take them from the oven, but not for long once inverted.  Maybe I’ll try Rose’s method of putting some batter on the sides of the pan first.  Maybe that will help. I do the “S” swirl with a thin bladed knife before I put it in to bake.  I have a cake cooling as I type, but my expectations for staying in the pan are low. 

I’ll check back from time to time to see if anyone here has found the answer to this problem.  Oh yes, I’m in New England, low humidity today, kitchen not drafty.

Thanks for any advice!!

Posted: 04 January 2009 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-18

CAKELUVR:
  Good afternoon to you. As far as I know there are two reasons for this baking problem to occur. There maybe other causes that I am not aware of.
However, if you post the recipe along with the directions & how you did the whites & pan prepartions…. perhaps I can be of help to you & or some other member(s) can contribute their knowledge that may help you. Till then, good luck to you from Las Vegas,NV. & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 05 January 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Thank you Freshkid for your quick reply!

I got lucky yesterday.  For the first time in I don’t know how many moons, my cake did not fall out of the pan.  I checked it after 15 minutes from inversion and voila, it was holding steady over my wine bottle.  Continued to stay in the pan until the cake was completely cool.  Maybe I did a better job beating the whites and folding.  Pan was spotless, no grease, a regular 10 x 4 aluminum angel cake pan, baked cake in lower third of oven for 38 minutes at 350 degrees.  I’ll try to do whatever it is I did this time, the next time I make an angel food cake.  The cake rose 3 inches - not the 4 I had hoped for - but this was a chocolate angel cake with 1 1/2 cups egg whites and grated chocolate.  Perhaps, had I used more whites, I would have gotten a higher cake.  Still, it stayed put for cooling, had no trouble removing it from pan, and tastes great.  I’m thankful for this success.  Have a great day in Nevada.  I woke up to very icy steps and driveway.  No fun.  Just put a chocolate drizzle on cake.  THAT was FUN!

Posted: 05 January 2009 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-18

CAKELUVR:
Good morning. Good!!!, I am happy to learn your cake came out just when you expected to. Remember if that was a abberation
come back with the information…I know we can help you.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 05 January 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Thanks again.  Will do!

Posted: 03 August 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve had success and failure with cakes falling out…today I made the Chocolate Angel Food from TCB… I baked it for 40 min and an internal temperature of about 203F.  Humidity is about 70% outside and 55% indoors.  I actually fumbled the pan while putting on the bottle (my bottle has liquid in it—it’s still in use) so I figured I had “lost” the cake.  Surprisingly, it has stayed in the pan (now about 30 mins after baking…) and so far so good.  I will throw out another theory…perhaps by baking to 203F more water has evaporated from the cake…perhaps being underdone can cause additional weight/moisture in the cake to aid in falling.  Also, maybe it cooks on to the side of the pan better?  My pan is silver on the outside but has a black coating inside.  It also has horizontal ribs on it.  It is terrible to clean…perhaps this helps the cake stay inside?

Posted: 03 August 2012 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, thanks for reporting your results, I’m going to try your internal temp (200+) and dark pan for my next chiffon! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 04 August 2012 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25
Julie - 04 August 2012 01:19 AM

Sherrie, thanks for reporting your results, I’m going to try your internal temp (200+) and dark pan for my next chiffon! smile

All I can say is it is JUST A THEORY!! I hope it works smile

Posted: 18 July 2013 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Update—Round 2…I just baked the Lemon Chiffon Cake in a tube pan (recipe from TCB) and so far so good…it’s staying in the pan.  I baked a full 55 mins. in my oven at 325 F and it’s been about 10 mins. and it’s still in the inverted pan.  I have it placed on a bottle to raise it up a fair bit.  The internal temp was about 204 F (I pulled the thermometer at this point because I wanted to get the pan inverted).  Will see how it turns out—hopefully posting this won’t jinx it.  It’s not overly humid today so I’m hopeful the cake will be spot on!  As I mentioned earlier, I have a dark pan with some ribbing inside of it.  I know some of my failures came from an aluminum pan that was oversized (I scaled the recipe up—It was about 14 cups if I recall) so I think it was underbaked.

Posted: 18 July 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Keeping my fingers crossed that yours stays in the pan!  Glad you posted, I am hoping to make a cake today to welcome my daughter home from camp- perhaps it will need to be a chiffon smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 July 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Stayed in pan and looks great!

Posted: 18 July 2013 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16