Higher end Oven Question
Posted: 12 August 2010 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

All along ‘ve been using a regular round oven for baking & it has mostly yielded nice textured, flavorful cakes..recently I purchased a Morphy Richards Electric Oven(OTG).

Spoke to the Manufacture abt the usage and they did give me a hint or two, but would be great if a regular passionate baker can advice…

They’ve told me to switch on the heating element on top and bottom and keep the cake below the middle rack.
Is that the best way to yield cakes with absolutely great texture?
Does this apply for cupcakes too?

Also when do you switch on the fan option for cakes since ‘ve read that the fan option is too delicate for the structure of sponge type cakes. Thanks

Posted: 12 August 2010 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I’m not familiar with this particular oven…but I have noticed in my oven (Viking = Gas range) that cakes do not do well with the fan.

Posted: 12 August 2010 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi S, I took a look at the website of the otgs and these seem to be the same larger toaster ovens sold as Oster in the USA.  I think any oven would do as long as you check the temperature with a dial oven thermometer.  Put the thermometer where your cake bakes and see how close the temp is to what the recipe needs.  The texture on cakes and moistness depends on the ingredients and mixing methods, not on the oven.  But a too hot oven will affect on doming and overbrowning.  Baking longer than the test done point affects on moistness, and the best way to check is with an instant read probe thermometer till the internal cake temp is 195-205oF for most cakes except cheesecakes.  I would read on about ovens on cake bible.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 13 August 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Thank you Bill/Hector.