1 of 2
Woody’s Lemon Luxury Cake
Posted: 12 August 2010 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

I’m thinking of making this next weekend for a friend who is leaving the firm—she likes both lemon and white chocolate, and I’ve been dying to make this cake!!!  I have a few questions, if anyone has familiarity:

1.  It’s August here in NC (as it is everywhere, to be sure) and I was noticing the cooking of the curd and the cooking of the custard base.  About how long do each of these take over the heat?  I don’t want to heatwave our apartment out too badly. 

2.  I know it says that the curd doesn’t keep fresh tasting past 3 weeks.  I usually make 1.5x recipe and make 1/2 cake for the hub and self.  I cut it into slices and freeze them for later treats.  How do you think this cake would freeze?

3.  I’ll be making this cake on a Saturday or Sunday, but her last day isn’t until Wednesday.  I could bring it in either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, but I was wondering if the curd would “sog out” the layers if I kept it refrigerated for a couple of days.  Normally, I find butter cakes improve if refrigerated a few days before serving, but I wasn’t sure how the curd would behave on a composed cake.

4.  I feel like I’m forgetting a fourth question, so I may be back with it!

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

—ak

Posted: 12 August 2010 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

The curd cooks for about 5 or 10 minutes…not terribly long…and I think it will keep fine for a few days in the fridge and should freeze well.  I made this cake once and it was a bit hit.  (It is, however, a lot of work)

Posted: 12 August 2010 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Bill! 

I can definitely handle 5-10 minutes heat-wise!  How long did it take the eggs/white chocolate/butter custard part to cook?

Much appreciated!

Posted: 12 August 2010 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I don’t remember…sorry….it was the first cake I made and I got the book as soon as it hit the shelves. I do remember that it was quite a long process and I never made it again.  LOL

Posted: 12 August 2010 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

I agree with Bill, once is enough.  I made it two weeks ago.  I was disappointed neither the cake or the icing was as yellow as the picture.  I decided You’d have to add food color to get it that yellow.  The lemon curd was fast, but the letting the butter cream age for more than 2 hours slows things down quite a bit.  I also had issues with the cake and baked a second to see if I could be a better one.  The top crust looked good, but the edges were deeply scalloped - something I had never seen before.  I was also trying to make this cake in +100?F weather.  I couldn’t get the house to cool down below 78?F to ice the cake.  It was like trying to ice a cake with melted ice cream.  A walk-in refrigerator would have been great!  The buttercream tasted great, but it is definitely a winter cake for my circumstances.

Posted: 12 August 2010 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne,
The curd would freeze well - in airtight container - I’ve done this before and it was fine.
If you want the curd to be more yellow, use organic eggs. They tend to have more yellow yolks.

The cake should be fine refrigerated for several days. When I made this cake I think it took us 5 days to eat it, it was a little bit dryer on day 5 but otherwise fine.

I love lemon cake and lemon curd, but all the white chocolate in this cake makes it way too rich for my taste. I don’t know how your taste preference is/or your friends, but thought I should mention it. As an alternative, you can always just do lemon curd as a filling (forgo the custard/white chocolate part in the lemon curd) - so the cake won’t be as sweet.

I look forward to seeing the picture of your cake! I’m sure it’ll be fabulous smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 August 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi Anne,

I made this cake for my birthday in May and I really liked it, even though it was a long process.  I really really liked the buttercream.  The cake itself really didn’t stand out but with the combination of the lemon curd and buttercream, it was very good.

But, same as Bill, I have only made it once.

Posted: 13 August 2010 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

This is one of my favorite cakes and I’ve made it 3 times. I do it in sections over 3 days and then it doesn’t feel like such a process. One day for the curd, one for the buttercream, one for the cake and putting it together.
I always get raves when I bring this to a party for dessert, and though the buttercream is sweet, I like that in a cake!

Posted: 13 August 2010 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you so much, everyone!  I think I’m going to go with the voice of experience (which is not my voice) and “save” this cake for November, when I have no scheduled baking.  I’ll probably make it over thanksgiving using gpears day-by-day technique, then I’ll slice it and freeze it for snacks, and bring in a few slices to work for some good friends.  This way, I can bake a bit on the holidays, but not take a whole day away from the sweet hubster.

Everyone, thanks so much for your comments on this!

The new plan is the Cordon Rose Banana Cake. I think I’ll make three 8” layers and fill them with white chocolate cream cheese frosting (think banana bread with sweetened cream cheese) and frost the outside with sour cream ganache (Rose’s recommended pairing).  I think it will all go together nicely: banana-chocolate, banana-cream cheese, chocolate-cream cheese, dark chocolate-whit chocolate, etc.

If anyone is cringing re this combo for any reason, please do feel free to say so!  As I said, I am not the voice of experience!

Posted: 13 August 2010 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-19

I made this cake only once and I think is awesome. One of my favourite cakes! I don’t like very rich cakes, and I think it was just perfect in its sweetness. It may depend on the chocolate you use. I used the one from Bulk Barn (sorry Rose) and the true is it was delicious.

Posted: 13 August 2010 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne,  I think that the White Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting would pair very well with this cake as well as the sour cream ganache.  You will have to let us know how it turns out ( With pictures of course!!)  I am intrigued with the sour cream ganache.  I have never made it before and I am curious to how it tastes.

Happy Baking!

Posted: 13 August 2010 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

You will have to let us know how it turns out ( With pictures of course!!)

Thanks, Liza!! Will do, for sure!

Posted: 13 August 2010 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Anne, your banana cake plan sounds delicious! One other LLC story to share…I has told mil I would bring dessert to one of their big family gatherings. Both my husband and his uncle also were having birthdays, so I was determined to make two cakes even though they both said they could share. (but keep in mind when I’d asked them what they wanted, one said “chocolate!” and the other said “lemon!”). So I had the double valentine and LLC in mind. Tried baking the double valentine the night before and pulled it out of the oven 5 mins too soon…what a disaster, especially after poking holes all over it for the ganache! At least I had some senseDand had made the lemon curd the day before.  Well, the next day, I couldn’t even start baking until after 2 because the twins were being, shall we say, very active. Stubborn me, I was still going to make those cakes come hell or high water!!

Long story longer…I sent hubby and kids over early so I could focus. There was so much waiting time with the LLC I had time to make another choc valentine…I finally showed up at about 8:00 (dinner was supposedly at 6 so I hoped they were eating slow!!) and a few people were already leaving when I got there! I hurriedly cut chunks of cake for them to take with them, then jammed on some candles (yes, on the already cut cake, terrible!) and sang happy birthday! I probably should have just picked up a cake at the Safeway bakery and been on time. Everyone would have been just as happy I bet (except me, but then, it wasn’t my birthday was it?) Haha, lesson learned. No wonder his family probably thinks I am excessive and a little over the top…but at least they loved that lemon cake! The choc valentine got some ooohs when first unveiled (all those raspberries!) but it was the LLC that got the tasting raves.

Anyway, just a story to illustrate what all have said here…the LLC is not a quick cake! But it is delicious! Hope you get to make it in November!!

Posted: 13 August 2010 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I probably should have just picked up a cake at the Safeway bakery and been on time.

Oh, no, you definitely did the right thing!!!  Plus you got to bake instead of sitting around with the in-laws!!! LOL!!!

Posted: 13 August 2010 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Loopy,  Now that’s dedication!!  I hope everyone appreciated all the work you did making these two cakes for them.

Posted: 01 November 2010 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi - I came today to find our what the forum thinks about freezing lemon curd. Specifically, to make the WlllC. So, I was rewarded to find that it is fine to freeze. I am planning it to take to CA on Wednesday, where I will make the buttercream on Thursday, and bake the cake on Friday to serve on Saturday. I have made the cake once before, and I made a note to myself then to split the production into two or three days. Here, I see others have agreed with that form of attack. I really enjoyed the cake and the guests were blown away. We found the crumb light and tender, the curd just tart enough [I added 1T], and the buttercream divine. I was able to procure Valrhona White Choc with vanilla bean. The combination was delicious. My present intention is to freeze the curd, that I have already made today, two days days before carrying it in suitcase sealed in container wrapped in bag with blue-ice. It can thaw on the way but stay cold. Then, upon arrival Wednesday, let it sit in fridge for the next two days when I make the buttercream on Thursday, and bake and compose the cake on Friday to serve on Saturday evening. So far, this is my best plan - a combination of forum comments!

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

1 of 2