Help… need help with wheat bread
Posted: 12 August 2010 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-08-12

Here is a challenge….

We are in process of remodeling our kitchen and do not have an oven right now. We do have a toaster oven and an outdoor smoker (we also have an old bread machine).

My bread pans really don’t fit the toaster oven but we have made free form loaves in it with sucess.

We need a good recipe for wheat bread suitable for someone with stage 2 diabetes that we can make in our toaster oven or possibly in the smoker.

Any suggestions, help?

Posted: 15 August 2010 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-08-12

Thanks for the reply….

We don’t have a comal. We don’t like using the bread machine it doesn’t do a very good job. The toaster oven works but you cannot put a loaf pan in it.

The smoker is a lot of trouble to fuel. Heat management in it should be easy. I am used to keeping it at a constant 250 for up to 12 hours at a time. A 350 degree range for less than an hour should be simple enough. I could also humidfy the smoker with an aluminum pan of water next the firebox. The only concern might be a slight smokey flavor from the burning charcoal. (I use lump charcoal)

I would think it would be similar to use a woodburning oven like a pizza oven. Does anyone have any experience with woodburning ovens?

I don’t know all of the dietary requirements.  Low or no sugar, primarily whole wheat, low or no salt. Aside from those needs I am not sure. The diabetes diagnosis is new to us and we are still learning.

We did attempt the honey oatmeal bread recipe (in the toaster oven) but we are not sure yet how it turned out. We have not sliced it yet. It did not rise very much and that bothers me somewhat.

Image Attachments
oatmeal1 small.jpg

Posted: 16 August 2010 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
haglered - 15 August 2010 03:43 AM

Thanks for the reply….

We don’t have a comal. We don’t like using the bread machine it doesn’t do a very good job. The toaster oven works but you cannot put a loaf pan in it.

The smoker is a lot of trouble to fuel. Heat management in it should be easy. I am used to keeping it at a constant 250 for up to 12 hours at a time. A 350 degree range for less than an hour should be simple enough. I could also humidfy the smoker with an aluminum pan of water next the firebox. The only concern might be a slight smokey flavor from the burning charcoal. (I use lump charcoal)

I would think it would be similar to use a woodburning oven like a pizza oven. Does anyone have any experience with woodburning ovens?

I don’t know all of the dietary requirements.  Low or no sugar, primarily whole wheat, low or no salt. Aside from those needs I am not sure. The diabetes diagnosis is new to us and we are still learning.

We did attempt the honey oatmeal bread recipe (in the toaster oven) but we are not sure yet how it turned out. We have not sliced it yet. It did not rise very much and that bothers me somewhat.

Your bread appears as though it turned out very well, especially for a toaster oven. I had no idea that was an option