1 of 2
All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake with Milk Chocolate Buttercream
Posted: 17 August 2010 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

The All Occasion Downy Yellow Buttercake is a thing of beauty.  Rooms should be stacked with them, and poems written in their honor.  A single, perfect, All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake should be put into the tokonoma of every Japanese tea room to assist in contemplation.  It is one in a thousand cakes.

Ditto the Milk Chocolate Buttercream.  If you are looking for unfussy, “unsophisticated,” but sinfully delicious chocolate frosting, you can’t go wrong with this buttercream which contains nothing but milk chocolate, dark chococolate and butter.  It is exactly as Rose described:  Like eating a bar of your favorite milk chocolate, melted. (Or something like that.)  The point is, it does taste just like milk chocolate.  It’s amazing.  To keep it’s super whippy texture, don’t refrigerate the composed cake.  Frost and eat!!!!  It’s still delicious after refrigerating, but the frosting won’t soften enough to return to that whippy state.  But fresh, oh, beware the spoons!!!!!

Pair these together, and you have the quintessential American Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting we all know and love, sans box.

I made this for a woman at work who only likes combinations of yellow or chocolate cake and vanilla or chocolate buttercream with no other funky/fancy stuff.  I doubled the TCB recipe and made two 9” layers (in a 9x2 pan) and one 8” layer (in a 1.5” pan) for self & hub, plus a teeny loaf to have unfrosted.

This cake tastes like the batter, especially on the first day, which is the OMG amazingest part.

Everyone was wild about the cake!  One person said they felt like they’d sinned and now had to go to confession.  My husband almost broke into song, as it was all he’d hoped it would be when helping me decide which components to use.  I served it at 1:30 and it was gone, except for a tiny sliver, by 5:00, and in a fairly dead hallway.  This is an amazing feat and tribute, as this is remarkably fast disappearance.

Image Attachments
Downy Yellow Butter Cakes.jpgHoney's birthday cake.jpgDowny Yellow Butter Cake (sliced into) 2.jpgProfile of a AODYB.jpg

Posted: 17 August 2010 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

OMG! It looks and sounds so delicious! You did a great job.  It is so tall and the crumb looks perfect.

And the frosting looks so creamy.  If it were in my house, I would have trouble keeping my fingers off that cake cheese

Posted: 17 August 2010 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

The cake looks great!  I haven’t tried the All Occasion Downy or Buttercream yet but I will after seeing this post.  I know that the All Occasion is the same as the White Velvet except that you use egg yolks.  Is there a big difference in the taste of the two cakes?  Also do you think I would be able to pipe with the Buttercream?  Thanks.

Posted: 17 August 2010 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Anne I got such a kick out of your love, passion, enthusiasm, and wahoo cheer for your cake. I love yellow cake with chocolate frosting in just the same way. I’m so glad that you had the perfect scrumptious experience! This is pure cake love, which we all share.

Posted: 17 August 2010 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

Anne, it’s great that you made this cake. I have the impression that you did not let the buttercream rest enough before you went ahead and frosted the cake. I say this, because the frosting in your pictures looks very very soft and it’s not supposed to be so soft. There’s a picture in the cake bible of a cake with this buttercream that gives an idea of the consistency it should have at room temperature. When I made this buttercream, I had to let it rest for quite a few hours (about six hours, my kitchen is warm) for it to get to the consistency it should have (and it should look like the Chocolate Spike cake).

I also have another question. I haven’t made this cake either but Rose has posted many pictures of this cake, unfrosted, and it looks very dark golden all over, almost brown. But yours looks very pale on the sides and spotty brown on top. Is that okay? I’m not criticizing, I’m just curious.

Posted: 17 August 2010 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

@Kathy: When I made this buttercream, I didn’t pipe with it, but I think the consistency, although soft (like softened butter), is firm enough to pipe with it. I think.

Posted: 17 August 2010 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne I am so glad you and everyone else enjoyed this cake.  It is my all time favorite yellow butter cake.  I make it more often than any other cake.  The milk chocolate buttercream looks so sinful.  I think that I could eat it by the spoonful.  I need to add this to my baking to do list.  It is getting so long. 

Your picture is the picture of the perfect american buttercake.  Now how can you beat that.  I really love the swirls of frosting you put on the cake….so inviting!!  It is crying out “Eat Me !!!”  LOL

Posted: 17 August 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words!!!

I would have trouble keeping my fingers off that cake

MJ, it’s so funny you say that, becuase this frosting made me think that you could almost write/draw in it, like finger paint.  (Goves, natch.)

I know that the All Occasion is the same as the White Velvet except that you use egg yolks.  Is there a big difference in the taste of the two cakes?  Also do you think I would be able to pipe with the Buttercream?  Thanks.

Hi, Kathy!  The cakes are totally different!  The White Velvet is a favorite of mine.  To me, it tastes like milk bread.  I just love it.  This is totally different—texture, flavor, everything!  I have to eat my liftle unfrosted loaf before I can really describe the difference, but they are totally different!  As to piping, I think you could.  It’s whippy, but it holds what you do to it, so, from someone inexperienced with piping, I’d say yes.  If you thought it was too fluffy, refrigerating it, stirring it lightly every 15 minutes or so to keep it equalized, would stiffen it gradually adn likely get you to the perfect piping consistency.

Anne I got such a kick out of your love, passion, enthusiasm, and wahoo cheer for your cake. I love yellow cake with chocolate frosting in just the same way. I?m so glad that you had the perfect scrumptious experience! This is pure cake love, which we all share.

Shokat, thanks so much!  The woman I made it for was really pleased, and I was so glad, becuase it was her first b’day at our firm.

It should look like the Chocolate Spike cake….I also have another question. I haven?t made this cake either but Rose has posted many pictures of this cake, unfrosted, and it looks very dark golden all over, almost brown. But yours looks very pale on the sides and spotty brown on top. Is that okay? I?m not criticizing, I?m just curious.

Hi, Jose!  It looks softer than it is—I went for a really soft look.  It is quite soft, but I actually was able to do The Spike stuff with it and decided not to keep that deisgn.  I really mucked around with the design a lot, and came up with plain ‘ol swirls as the friendliest.  The frosting didn’t need to set at all.  Maybe your chocolate was warmer or your butter more melty when you made yours so it had to set, but mine didn’t set at all.  It was really a perfect frosting texture.  The cake is quite golden on the top overall.  Maybe looks spotty in the pic, but the top was very golden and lovely.  The sides are lighter because the darker parts were the parts stuck to the sides of the pan that you buzz ‘round with your index finger and then eat.  Yum!!!!

I think that I could eat it by the spoonful.

Hi, Liza!  Me, too—in fact, I did!!!

Thanks again, everyone!

—ak

Posted: 18 August 2010 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Anne, that cake is soooo beautiful!  I love all the swoopy swirls in the frosting, and the height you got on the layers.  Thanks for the warning on the milk chocolate buttercream, too.  What’s next on the baking list??

Posted: 18 August 2010 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Loop!!

Anne, that cake is soooo beautiful!

Many thanks!!  smile

I love ... the height you got on the layers.

I can totally credit my new TCB for this!!!  On my pistachio cake, one of the layers was totally sunken in the middle (the little 8” home layer, luckily), so I read that one of the possibles was undermixing.  Then I read that there is little danger of OVERmixing with Rose’s method (I assume this meas the pre-adding egg mixing), and, as I do a double-batch and only have a hand mixer, I went ahead and mixed the initial mixing (not dry ingredients, natch) for an additional 1-1/2 m inutes.  Even though my pans weren’t half full, as they were supposed to be, the layers were a full 1-1/2” at the edge from teh 2” pans!! 

Also, I was going to try the freezing pan thing (rather than cake strips), but then I saw a major problem could be oven temp, and I didn’t want the pans to bring my oven temp down, so I did cake strips, as usual.

Finally, I saw that when going from1-1/2” to 2” deep pans, to decrease the leavening.  The 9” pans are 2”, but my 8” cake is a 1-1/2—and it wouldn’t need the decrease!  So I saw 2 things:  (1) if you have more pans than oven space, put the extra FILLED pans in the fridge and (2) if you want to “increase” leavening, let a pan sit for 20 minutes.  So I decreased the leavening in the recipe for the 2” pans and then “fixed” the leavening for the 1-1/2” pan by leaving it in the fridge (since one had to “wait” anyway.

TCB in an awesome resource!!!

What?s next on the baking list??

Cordon Rose Banana cake—this weekend!!!!!

Posted: 18 August 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, it is such a perfect, iconic cake!  I’m glad it turned out so well and that the birthday girl loved it.

Your layers look good to me, that’s just how mine usually look, too.  (Or maybe we both make the same mistakes? hee hee).  The bubbly top is OK, in my book.

And I agree, your frosting is perfect- friendly and inviting, just waiting to be eaten.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 18 August 2010 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

What?s next on the baking list??

Cordon Rose Banana cake—this weekend!!!!!

Hi Anne! This is a GRRREAT choice!! This cake is delish. I made it and ate it three ways: 1) unfrosted : GOOD, 2) with milk chocholate buttercream: MISMATCH. 3) with sour cream ganache: AMAZING!!! This cake is really good. I hope that the Chocolate Bread is not too far down on your list. I’d like to know if you like it as much as I do. smile

By the way, there’s a video of Rose making the banana cake in the blog.

Posted: 18 August 2010 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Jose Lugo - 18 August 2010 07:57 PM

By the way, there’s a video of Rose making the banana cake in the blog.

There is??!! I have got to look for that. Thank you

Posted: 18 August 2010 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 18 August 2010 02:05 AM

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words!!!

I would have trouble keeping my fingers off that cake

MJ, it’s so funny you say that, becuase this frosting made me think that you could almost write/draw in it, like finger paint.  (Goves, natch.)

Before ever tasting Rose’s recipes, cake was something to hold the frosting. There were many times when I left the cake and just ate the frosting.  Since then, I have gained an appreciation for cake but I am weak for frosting (especially whipped cream)  tongue rolleye Your frosting looks soo delicious and you frosted the cake beautifully.  Really, excellent job!!

Posted: 18 August 2010 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

That’s a fabulous cake, Anne! I love the combination of yellow and brown together. I’ve always liked seeing those two colors together. And I love the pattern you put in the frosting. Great job on your cake!

smile

Posted: 18 August 2010 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

that?s just how mine usually look, too.

OMG, Julie!  I am seriously going to get a big head now!!!!!  Thanks!

By the way, there?s a video of Rose making the banana cake in the blog.

Ooh, thanks, Jose!  I will certainly scope!!!

Before ever tasting Rose?s recipes, cake was something to hold the frosting…Since then, I have gained an appreciation for cake…

I totally ditto that.  And thanks for the kind words!

That?s a fabulous cake, Anne!

Thanks, MP, and thanks for all your thoughts during the planning stages!  You can see that I did not use the cake strips before frosting…and I have learned my lesson!!!

1 of 2