2 of 2
All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake with Milk Chocolate Buttercream
Posted: 18 August 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22
Anne in NC - 19 August 2010 02:03 AM

Thanks, MP, and thanks for all your thoughts during the planning stages!  You can see that I did not use the cake strips before frosting…and I have learned my lesson!!!

No problem, Anne! I’m happy to help. smile

Do you mean you didn’t use the wax paper strips when you frosted the cake? It looks like you decorated the cake directly on the turntable and served it on there, too. Is that the case? Even if you didn’t use the strips, it looks beautiful. I couldn’t tell that you didn’t use them. And even now that I know you didn’t use them, I still can’t tell.

Posted: 19 August 2010 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Do you mean you didn?t use the wax paper strips when you frosted the cake?

Yes!  Usually frosting wipes off that thing with no evidence of existence, but this time, you can see the frosting color on the cake carrier around the base.  Rats!  Didn’t worry too much, but I’ve learned my lesson not to take that for granted, to quit being a slacker and to use the protective waxed paper strips when frosting!

Posted: 19 August 2010 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Looks beautiful.  I’ve used this combination many many times!  YUM!

Posted: 19 August 2010 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

wow that cake looks so delicious

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 19 August 2010 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks so much, Bill & CRenee!

I ate some of the plain little loaf, and the DYBC is really an amazingly delicious little thing all on its own!

Posted: 25 August 2010 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Ann, your cake looks wonderful. I love the combination of the yellow cake and chocolate frosting.

The All-Occasion Yellow and the White counterpart are my go-to cakes in those flavors. I don’t even bother with any other recipes anymore, why, when these two cakes are pure perfection IMO. Thank you, Rose!

Posted: 25 August 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, MrsM!  I agree—the downy yellow and white velvet are magnificent!  Frosted and plain!  I can’t stand to make the same cake twice, though, so I"m constantly finding myself with a new favorite—they’re all so yummy!

Posted: 10 June 2011 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-08

Just reading through these comments about the All Occasion Yellow Cake—- did any of you have problems with the cake being crumbly and dry? A couple of us on the forum are trying to figure out why this happened.

Posted: 10 June 2011 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2011-03-16

Oh my, that is a beautiful cake!  Thank you for the detailed description.  I will add this one to my list of “need to bake soon” cakes.  Drat, now I’m hungry for cake and it is only 9AM!

Posted: 10 June 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Mickey!

I made this cake last August—and it was rather early in my baking experience—so my memory is somewhat vague. And I was rather fixated on the ‘hard shell’ frosting.  The milk chocolate buttercream is the best ever—but never refrigerate it.  However, I’m thinking that I wouldn’t go so far as to call it dry or crumbly, but I would say it’s the most tender cake I made, in that it wouldn’t crumble, but it would break more than other cakes.  I’m thinking that this cake might be better made with bleached AP flour, rather than cake flour.  The bleached AP gives just a *touch* more perception of moisture and hold-togetherness.  You know how unbleached AP can give it that real ‘home cake’ feel—super moist, a little dense—bleached gives it a touch of that over cake flour.  If I make it again (but I have lots of other cakes to go first), that’s what I plan to do. 

Sorry to use such vague descriptions.  Apparently, we need more baking words in our language!!  Like how the Eskimaux have all those different words for snow—we need them for cake textures!!  Anyway, hope that was somewhat helpful.

—ak

And thanks, Funky5 !!!

Posted: 11 June 2011 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

Wow, Anne, that’s pretty much…“the” cake! Probably what most people picture when they think of a classic layer cake—and yet better because it’s homemade! I can’t wait to try this after reading your swooning description! My fiance’s family members who bake are totally devoted to the box stuff - and I’m sure they think I’m a cake snob because I won’t go near it - and they’re convinced that you can’t make a yellow cake that bakes up as well as the boxed mix. I can’t wait to try this recipe and prove them wrong!!!

Posted: 11 June 2011 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Rosie!

The cake is wonderful.  Just remember you can’t refrigerate this frosting—but it is the easiest, most heavenly frosting imaginible.  So far, my all-time favorite yellow cake is the Golden Luxury Butter Cake, so you could try that as the ‘cake part’ if you’d like.  I love the Downy Yellow, also.  All Rose’s yellows are fabulous.

Posted: 14 June 2011 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, sorry I missed this post. The cake is GORGEOUS! Love your swirls of frosting. And your description! I have not made this cake yet. But I will. Have to add it to the list. Or maybe you can remind me, say, sometime this November - when I’m done with RHC?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

2 of 2