Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-18

I have this tried ‘n’ true:
ANGEL FOOD CAKE

1 c. icing sugar         1 t. cream of tartar
1 c. cake flour         1 c. sugar
12 egg whites         2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
Move oven rack to lowest position; heat oven to 375.  In a mixing bowl, mix together icing sugar and flour; set aside.  In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy.  Beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed, adding vanilla and salt with the last addition of sugar.  Continue beating until stiff and glossy meringue forms (DO NOT UNDERBEAT).
Sprinkle sugar-flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in just until sugar-flour mixture disappears.  Push batter into ungreased tube 10x4” tube pan.  Cut gently through batter with butter knife.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly.  Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or the neck of a bottle.  Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool.  Loosen side of cake with knife; remove from pan.
Makes 16 servings.

And, just for good measure, let me add this one, because it’s sooo easy!
MOCK ANGEL FOOD CAKE

1 c. flour   1 t. vanilla
1 c. sugar   3 t. baking powder
1 c. milk   2 egg whites
pinch salt
Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together four times. Heat the milk to scalding, and beat the egg whites stiff. Pour the scalding milk into the dry ingredients, stirring constantly, and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites. Add the flavoring, and turn into an angel food cake pan. Bake in a moderate oven 350? for about thirty minutes.

Signature 

Lisa?

Remember: We’re all unique…just like everybody else

Posted: 04 December 2007 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks for posting this recipe.  I’m going to give this one a try. I’ve got a recipe that I’ve tried many times, and tastes great, but the bottom seems to get wet and soggy.  Is this typical of angel food cakes?  Am I doing something wrong? Is the problem with my recipe.  I don’t have it with me so I can’t post it now…but it is from the big yellow cook book that Gourmet put out.

Posted: 19 December 2007 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

I have solved my soggy wet angel-food cake problem.  The recipe that I was using gave measurements for dry ingredients volumetrically.  I use the charts in Rose’s books and convert to weights…but you are never sure exactly how the author filled his cup of flour…and even if you spoon the flour in…there will be some variations.  I made the angel food cake recipe that I have been using…once again…only this time with just a slightly larger amount of flour and…voila!  no soggy bottom!

Posted: 19 December 2007 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

haojv:  I’m sorry that I haven’t posted the recipe…I don’t have a computer at home…and I keep forgetting to bring the recipe to work to post it for you…I will try to remember.  Sorry! (It is in the big yellow cookbook by Gourmet   (Don’t buy it…i’m going to try to remember to bring you the recipe…now that I have the flour issue worked out…it is terrific)

‹‹ .      My favourite fruit cake recipe ››