IMBC with orange essence: add vanilla or not?
Posted: 22 August 2010 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-25

I’m making orange-flavored IMBC to frost orange mocha cupcakes. My question: Should I flavor the frosting with vanilla extract AND orange flavor, or just orange? I’m using whatever the orange flavor is that they sell at Williams Sonoma; I think it’s Nielsen-Massey. Thanks in advance!

Posted: 22 August 2010 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-06-12

I vote yes on vanilla, but it shouldn’t be overpowering.

Posted: 23 August 2010 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I would probably add Grand Marnier, rather than vanilla, both to improve emulsification and mouthfeel of the italian meringue bc and because GM is so good with chocolate.

This may not be an option, but the Italian meringue bc is better with orange curd than just extract, and the neoclassic bc is better with extract/juice.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 23 August 2010 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-25

Thanks for the vanilla vote!

Julie - 23 August 2010 11:38 AM

I would probably add Grand Marnier, rather than vanilla, both to improve emulsification and mouthfeel of the italian meringue bc and because GM is so good with chocolate.

This may not be an option, but the Italian meringue bc is better with orange curd than just extract, and the neoclassic bc is better with extract/juice.

IMBC with orange and vanilla *plus* Grand Marnier, or just IMBC with Grand Marnier? I’m using GM in the soaking syrup on the cupcakes, along with orange juice concentrate and simple syrup.

Mmm—orange curd would be delicious! Next time, for sure. This time, it’s for a wedding, so I have to stick with as close to white as possible for the frosting. Tx!

Posted: 23 August 2010 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Italian meringue bc is better with orange curd than just extract, and the neoclassic bc is better with extract/juice.

Thanks for this tip, Julie.  This is really helpful!

Posted: 28 August 2010 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-25

The update: I used Julie’s suggestion of GM for improving mouthfeel, and I I added pure orange extract. No vanilla.

The result: Wow! The GM really packs a punch, and the consistency was perfect. Thanks, all!