French Apple Pie?
Posted: 23 August 2010 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-07-25

I haven’t been on much lately, as I’ve been very busy at work, but a good friend recently was kind enough to allow me to make the desserts for her upcoming wedding. The cakes are no problem, but she requested a “French Apple Pie” in lieu of a groom’s cake. I’ve not made too many pies in my lifetime (not a pie fan) and every recipe I find online is different. Does anyone know of a good go-to recipe for such a thing? From what I understand, it’s a pie crust with an apple and raisin filling, topped with another crust, then topped with nuts and brown sugar, then icing. Sound familiar at all? smile

Posted: 23 August 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

You’re a good and generous friend to make the wedding cake and groom’s pie!

I don’t have the magic answer to your question, but perhaps it would be good to ask the bride and groom, particularly if there are many versions.  If it were me, I would want to know which version they are expecting.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 23 August 2010 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-25

The problem is that the pie is a surprise - so I’d rather not ask if I can avoid it! smile

Posted: 23 August 2010 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I did a quick google of the phrase ‘french apple pie’ and it turns up many recipes. Given the number of variations I agree with Julie. I think it would be better to forgo the fun of the surprise. I think the bride would be happier with the version she likes than the surprise.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 23 August 2010 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-25

HI all!

Thanks for your help - it turns out her mom misunderstood and it IS a DUTCH apple pie, not a french apple pie, that they want. I mentioned the icing and raisins and she looked so disgusted, it was hilarious. Thank god I asked. LOL!

I should have clarified, I was going to make a ‘test pie’ for their engagement party which I am hosting as well, not surprise them with a pie at their wedding without them having tasted it! Once I know if it’s their style or not, I will make it (or adapt it) for the big day!