Doubt regarding Caramel Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Posted: 24 August 2010 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi

Have a doubt regarding the Caramel Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream that am going to make.

How long will the buttercream last once its on the cake? 24 hrs on refrigeration, is that correct?

If I have some leftover, will I be able to freeze it? And how long will it stay if I were to freeze it? I have my doubts ‘coz its egg whites..

Will I not be able to pipe a writing on it?

Thanks

Posted: 24 August 2010 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Sharon, I don’t know this recipe, I don’t think Rose has published a Swiss Meringue bc.  If you are concerned about egg safety you could try finding information from the egg safety board.  As for piping, you can control the consistency by temperature, i.e., chill the piping bag if it is too soft.

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 24 August 2010 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I don’t ususally use swiss merengue buttercream…I prefer Italian merengue. But when you make swiss merenge you heat the eggs and sugar over a double boiler…I’m not sure what temperature you need to heat it to to be sure it is safe…but I’m sure you can find the info online…

Posted: 24 August 2010 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

This is the first time i will be doing a Caramel Chocolate Swiss Meringue too, I got the recipe frm a DessertsMag issue on Cakes.

I understand now that this type of buttercream stays 3 months frozen and will stay several days in the refrigerator. And like how Julie said, I could pipe it too, controlling the temp. by freezing the piping bag a bit if its too smooth.

And yes the sugar and egg whites are cooked over medium heat till the sugar is dissolved and completely smooth.

If it turns out really well, will let you know, smile.

Posted: 30 August 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

I tried the Swiss Meringue Buttercream sans the caramel and it is yum!

Love the silky, smooth texture and the light fluffiness of it, not cloying at all. Has such a lovely glossy white color as well.

The whites along with the sugar have to be cooked till it hit 160 degrees F for abt. 2-4 mins, ensuring that the egg whites are ‘‘cooked’‘.