1 of 3
Cordon Rose Banana Cake!!  Yum!!
Posted: 24 August 2010 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

This might be my favorite cake since the Sicilian Pistachio cake!

I made two layers for a friend at work, and a small one with nuts for us at home.

I must say that I had cause to look at the “What Can Go Wrong” section of my TCB—one layer dipped a teeny bit, and the other domed and cracked! However, I knew this wouldn’t affect the delicious flavor at all, so I didn’t let it either worry or deter me.  Moron that I am, I did initially put the domed one as the bottom layer, so I had to lift it, top frosted and crumb coated, onto another surface, put the dipped one on the platter, top frost it, and drop the domed layer on top.  Luckily, all without incident!

I used the full 1/2 c. sour cream rather than the 2T—I mean, why lose a fat-adding opportunity, right?

I invented my own frosting:  1 lb. butter, 1 lb. cream cheese, 2/3 c. clover honey, 1/4 c. sour cream, 1 T. vanilla.  It is magnificent!!!  And, it stays soft, even in the fridge.  It is super-light and whippy dip.  And the best part:  It goes with the cake perfectly!!!

One person told me that the person I made it for said it’s the best cake she ever had.  Everyone loved it.  I loved it.

I love the dense, moist texture of the cake part itself. 

Also, I served it cold-ish, as I like breakfasty cake-type things that way.  I know that, theoretically, room temp is supposed to bring out more flavor, but I always find cold cakes have ore flavor, but that’s just me. 

Missy—this is one for you, as I know you like quick breads (and who doesn’t)!!!  It’s a great quick-bread cake hybrid, and I think you’d love my frosting with it! 

Anyway, completely thrilled with the cake in all respects.  If you haven’t made it, do!  I wish I could ship you all a piece!

Image Attachments
Small - Laura's Cake - 2.jpgSmall - Laura's Cake (Cut) - 2.jpgSmall - Laura's Cake (Kelly) (Cut) -1.jpgSmall - Laura's Cake (Slice).jpg

Posted: 24 August 2010 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, that is one gorgeous cake! I love love love your swirly design - looks like one of the cakes in TCB.

The layers look perfect - I wouldn’t be able to tell that one of them dip in the middle.

Your description made my mouth water - and I just had a piece of cake smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 August 2010 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne, you’ve baked another success!!  It looks absolutely mouthwatering.  That sounds like a very interesting buttercream recipe you’ve invented.  I am glad it went so well with the cake.

I also like my cakes abit on the cool side.  Especially banana bread and carrot cake.

Posted: 24 August 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Liza and Jenn, thank you for your many kind compliments!  I am so happy with this cake and everyone should absolutely make it if the opportunity presents itself!!!  It’s really a “cake for everyone.”

Your description made my mouth water - and I just had a piece of cake.

Jenn, Spoken like a true cake lover, Jenn, and a girl after my own heart! 

That sounds like a very interesting buttercream recipe you?ve invented.

Thank you, Liza!  It was really, really good and not too sweet.  A really perfect blend.  I was so happy!  I used clover honey, as Rose recommends.  I got both raw and “regular” honey.  I"d intended to use the raw if it looked like it might too soft, and I think if you liked the frosting a little stiffer, it would work well, since raw is more or less solid at room temperature.  The raw I got, though, had the comb all ground up in it, and I didn’t want that as part of the texture, if you know what I mean.  Should have gotten “the other one.”  Oh well, I’ll just have to eat this honey by the spoonful!  Woe is me!

Posted: 25 August 2010 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Anne, that cake is GORGEOUS!!! Looking at your pictures, my mouth is watering! I love the nuts on top. YUM!!!! It looks so delicious!

You did a fantastic job frosting the 2 layer cake. It looks so light a fluffy.

This is exactly the kind of cake we like.  I baked this morning so I will probably be baking again on Thursday..and this is what I will make!

I’m so glad you posted these pictures!!! I can’t wait!

Which nuts did you use?

Posted: 25 August 2010 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Wow Anne, the cake looks terrific!!  And delicious, too!!  You must be getting quite the reputation at work…watch out, soon you’ll be the requested baker for something every week!!

Posted: 25 August 2010 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

That’s a real beauty, Anne! I love layered cakes and you did such a great job with this one. I concur with Jenn, that swirly pattern is beautiful. I hope your coworkers appreciate how lucky they are to have you making these cakes for them. What kind of nuts did you put on the one for you and the hub?

smile

Posted: 25 August 2010 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks again, everyone!

MJ—make sure your bananas are really ripe! Also, it takes about 1 lemon per 1 t. rind, so each layer needs about 2 lemons.  If you want the frosting sweeter, I’d use raw honey (so you can use more of it) or add powdered sugar.  It’s a great texture as is, but I’m not sure if you’d want it softer by adding more liquid honey to sweeten it. I hope you love it if you make it!  I tell you now:  I do!!!

Thanks, Loop and MP!  I wish I could bake every week!!!

Everyone:  The nuts are walnuts.  My favorite.  Especially in little cups with maple syrup poured over them or eaten in equal amounts with raisins.  My two fave snacks!  Dangerous snacks!!!

Posted: 25 August 2010 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, MJ, I thought I’d add that another way of making it sweeter was to make a drizzle like the caramel drizzle in RHC, except use honey in place of corn syrup.  You might not want it sweeter, but I know sometimes you want it a bit sweeter (as if you and the hub weren’t sweet enough).

Posted: 25 August 2010 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

This is one of my favorite cakes.  In fact, the next time I make the Chocolate Banana Stud Cake, I’m going to use this cake instead of the chocolate banana cake.  I’ve made many banana birthday cakes with the Cordon Rose Banana Cake.  Love, love, love it!

Posted: 25 August 2010 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Lovely cake!!  The frosting is perfectly swirled and inviting smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 25 August 2010 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, BakerJD and Julie!  Thank you both!

Posted: 30 April 2011 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Anne, your frosting sounds great. I love the walnuts on top too.

I have this cake in the oven right now.  I wish I saw this thread sooner because I would have tried your frosting with walnuts

Posted: 30 April 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

This is how mine came out. I tried to sweeten the ganache. I looked online and found a vegan site which recommends using maple syrup to sweeten ganache.  It’s okay but not as sweet as I would have liked. Next time I will use some milk chocolate

Image Attachments
rose cordon banana.jpg

Posted: 30 April 2011 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, Flour Girl, that is so pretty!!!!  Thanks for posting a pic!  I think the ganache will be so yummy with the cake!  That’s a good idea to use milk chocolate to sweeten the ganache.  You can also dissolve sugar in the simmering cream or add stir raw honey into the warm ganache. It will melt the honey, but then at room temp, the honey will become solid again, so it doesn’t thin the ganache like a liquid can.

Be sure to let us all know how you like the cake!!!!

Posted: 30 April 2011 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Honey would have been a good idea. I used maple syrup because I didn’t know honey was an option.  I will definitely let you know how this tastes.  As for appearance, the cake baked beautifully. I used a 9 inch removable bottom pan in place of the springform.  The cake rose high and was very nicely browned.

1 of 3