1 of 2
Music Lover’s Cake
Posted: 28 August 2010 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I made this cake for a friend of mine for her father-in-law.  He is a great lover of music.  Both cakes are the All Ocassion Downey yellow Butter Cake, with raspberry fruit cloud filling and iced with white chocolate mousseline buttercream.  My friend provided me with all the chocolate music notes and instruments.  I was very very nervous about tiering these cakes, but it seemed to work out fine.  I have 3 bubble tea straws for support inbetween the layers and a centre dowel through both cakes.  Now I just have to transport it to work tomorrow.  Yikes!!
Guess I will be driving to work like a little old lady tomorrow.  LOL  Hope I don’t lose the piano on top.

Image Attachments
music cake 1.jpgmusical cake 2.jpg

Posted: 28 August 2010 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi Liza, What a gorgeous cake!  I know they will be so pleased with it.  And yes, drive as slow as you can, don’t want to wreck this masterpiece!!

Posted: 28 August 2010 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

I hope you get all the compliments you deserve for such a beautiful cake!  Well done! grin

Posted: 28 August 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Loopy and Jeanette.  Because of dietary restrictions I had to make the cakes with unbleached flour and raw cane sugar.  I substituted part of the flour with cornstarch for the bottom cakes but I still had some dipping the middle.  The top layers were even worse, so I went out and bought some potato starch and substituted some of that for the flour and rebaked the top layers.  Which gave really good results, no dipping at all.  But the sugar she gave me to use had really large crystals so I had to pulverize it in my food processor.  We ate the two top layers that I didn’t use and they tasted really really good.

Posted: 28 August 2010 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

What a beautiful cake, Liza!  Your piping looks really, really pretty.  I’m glad to know that buttercream can hold all of that side weight—I wouldn’t have thought it!

I find dipped cakes to be especially delicious—so dense and creamy in the dipped part—so it’s sort of a bonus, even if you have to rebake!

Congratulations on such lovely work—there is going to be a very happy father-in-law in the world!!

Posted: 28 August 2010 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Anne.  The side pieces are white modeling chocolate that I tinted wedgewood blue.  I wish that I had of rolled them a bit thinner though.  I think that my next baking toy will be a manual pasta machine so I roll fondant or modeling chocolate all lot thinner, with an even consistency.  I ordered some silicone pearl border makers and I really wanted to use them for around the borders of the cake, but alas, they haven’t come in yet.  Maybe on my next cake.  So a shell border it was.

The lighting was not very good when I took the pictures last night because the buttercream almost looks yellow in the pictures.  But it is actually more like a cream color.

Posted: 28 August 2010 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I am at work now, and happy to report that the cake made it here in one piece. WHEW!!!

Posted: 28 August 2010 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

YAY!!!!! Can’t wait to hear about all of the ooooohhhhhs and aaaaaaaahhhhhs!!!

Posted: 28 August 2010 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautiful, Liza, your work is just perfecct!  So glad to hear the cake made it through the first leg of its trip (is this the one that your friend will transport?).  At first I thought those blue panels were fondant, how nice that you were able to make them from modeling chocolate.  And thanks for reporting on the success of the unbleached flour/ potato starch substitution, good to know.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 August 2010 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you Julie.  Yes, this is the cake that my friend is transporting.  I will find out tomorrow if she got it there in one piece and if they liked it.  Now that I look at the pictures,  I find that the shell borders look a little bulky for this cake.  Wish now I had put something smaller around the borders. 

I also just wanted to know if you got my PM about the bull’s eye cakes.  If not I will resend.

Posted: 28 August 2010 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I don’t know much about cake design, but I think the shell borders don’t look bulky at all.  To me, they’re a perfect middle ground tie-in between the large releief chococlate instruments and the smooth cake.  I think you did a magnificent job all around!!

Posted: 29 August 2010 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you Anne, you are so kind to say that.  Sometimes I think I am my own worst critic.  My friend really really liked the cake so I am sure her father-in-law will too.

Posted: 29 August 2010 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

H O L Y ! ! ! ! That is amazing!!! What an accomplishment!! My daughter would LOVE that..she is a guitar and piano teacher and has composed and cut her own CD. Her boyfriend is a member of an international band and they have a recording studio in their house.  I wish I could make that for them

Awesome!!

Posted: 30 August 2010 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Great job! I also like how the cake has a masculine quality for the birthday guy from the wood tones and silver/gray colors.

Posted: 30 August 2010 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, what a gorgeous cake! The buttercream is so so smooth.

I like the shell border. I wish I could pipe like you. When I try shell borders they are often too flimsy and thin. I think yours are perfect.

Also, it sounded like you have made the All Occasion Downy cake several times now. I haven’t tried this one yet, but now you’ve peaked my curiosity - I will need to try this soon smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 August 2010 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you Missyjean, Matthew and Jenn.

Jenn you really have to try the All Occasion Downy cake.  It is such a good cake.  It pairs so well with all kinds of different flavors of fillings and buttercreams.  I have paired it with raspberry, strawberry, vanilla bavarian cream ( which by the way is to die for ) and chocolate.  I have made this cake so many times that I think I can almost make it from memory. This is the cake people have requested the most.

I really need to try some of the other recipes from Rose,  I just haven’t had a chance to.  Oh, but I did make her blueberry buttermilk pancakes on Sunday and they were wonderful.  Very light, and a little tangy from the buttermilk.  Which made a match in heaven with the butter and real maple syrup.  I think that when my kids are back at school I will have more time on my hands.  My list is getting very long.  LOL

1 of 2