2 of 2
Music Lover’s Cake
Posted: 30 August 2010 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, which buttercream did you use when you fill it with vanilla bavarian? Your description made me want to try that version cheese.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 August 2010 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I used the Silk Meringue buttercream.  Between the vanilla bean seeds ( I usually use vanilla bean paste instead of the vanilla extract - I like to see the vanilla seeds in the batter) in the cake, the vanilla bavarian cream and the creme anglaise in the buttercream, it was utter bliss and joy.  The vanilla was not overpowering at all.  I think this was my favorite combination.

I did have some issues with the Silk Meringue when I thawed it and tried to spread it on the cake.  I couldn’t get it smooth no matter what I did.  It almost looked like it was not emulsified, and it was so so soft.  I can guarantee it was something I did, just not sure what.  But the taste was out of this world.  This was the first time I made it and now I can understand why so many people love it.

Posted: 30 August 2010 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

My daughter would LOVE that..she is a guitar and piano teacher and has composed and cut her own CD. Her boyfriend is a member of an international band and they have a recording studio in their house.

Hey, MJ (and everyone), my hub is also a musician!  We recently made five live videos of him performing his original songs, and yesterday we posted them on YouTube—if you want to see them (or think your daughter would like to see them), look up Ancient Yarn.  He wrote the songs and painted the paintings, and the videos are of him singing and playing live.  We used to only have audio with lyrics, but now we’re HD Video!! So fun!  We’ll be making more of them, also!

I listed hte kind of camera we use, also, in case you make videos of baking things or of you and your loved ones enjoying Rose’s cakes!

I have paired it with ... vanilla bavarian cream (which by the way is to die for) ....

Oooh, I will have to keep this in mind!

Posted: 31 August 2010 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne, your husband plays very, very well.  Has he been playing guitar for a long time?  You guy’s did a great job with the videos.  Isn’t technology today amazing.  I was hoping to get a glimpse of you too on the video.  Were you hiding behind the video camera? grin

I could never do that.  I play classical guitar and I still get nervous playing in front of my instructor.  You’ll never catch me playing in front of a camera or even worse, a live audience.  I think I’d pass out first.  LOL

Posted: 31 August 2010 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

That is absolutely stunning, Liza! It’s perfectly balanced in every sense of the word. I like the balance of colors and adornments. There’s nothing about this cake that screams overkill. The instruments and the modeling chocolate panels are just the right amount and the piping work is beautiful. I also like the balance of flavors with the yellow cake, raspberry cream cloud filling and white chocolate mousseline. I made that a little while ago based on a recommendation you and Lawny made and I loved the way it tasted. And from what I can see, this cake is also structurally balanced, too. Nice work with your straws and dowel. I’m like you, I tend to be my own worst critic, but I don’t think there’s anything you could find wrong with this cake. I can’t. Thanks for sharing the pictures. That is one marvelous cake!

smile

Posted: 31 August 2010 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Anne, your husband plays very, very well.  Has he been playing guitar for a long time?  You guy?s did a great job with the videos.  Isn?t technology today amazing.  I was hoping to get a glimpse of you too on the video.  Were you hiding behind the video camera? grin

I could never do that.  I play classical guitar and I still get nervous playing in front of my instructor.  You?ll never catch me playing in front of a camera or even worse, a live audience.  I think I?d pass out first.

Thanks, Liza! Yes, I am the shaky hand behind the camera.  I basically look like my little avatar drawing, except I have lots of gray streaks in my hair now! 

The hub loves your cake, BTW.  He’s been writing and playing for 30 years, but has never played publicly.  It’s really fun to be able to document the songs with video rather than just audio.  Classical guitar is so beautiful—if you ever get up the courage, you should try making a little video.  It’s so fun to share music, because music is so wonderful!! 

Have you heard any cake response yet?

Posted: 01 September 2010 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you very much MP.  I appreciate your kind words, and I am glad you enjoyed the same flavor combinations.  All the flavors compliment each other very well.

Anne,  Wow that is a long time!!  He must really enjoy it.  I haven’t been playing that long for sure.  I started taking lessons, follow the royal conservatory of music curriculum about 3 years before my son was born.  but after my kids came along and started working full time I just didn’t seem to have the time to dedicate to my lessons and the practicing.  Now that my kids are older and more self sufficient ( 14 and 9) I have started my lessons again and I am really enjoying it.  I don’t know if your husband feels the same way, but I find that playing my guitar is very calming and relaxing.  Like musical yoga.

I talked to my friend yesterday and the cake was a big hit.  Everyone loved it.

Posted: 22 January 2011 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
Liza - 30 August 2010 11:45 PM

I did have some issues with the Silk Meringue when I thawed it and tried to spread it on the cake.  I couldn’t get it smooth no matter what I did.  It almost looked like it was not emulsified, and it was so so soft.

Liza, this sounds like the silk meringue wasn’t re-beaten after storing, could that have been the case?  Silk meringue, and often times other buttercreams as well, must be re-beaten after they turn spongy (soften) or they are nearly impossibly soft to work with and deflate when you try to smooth them, making them seem to change color.  Re-beating restores the emulsification and thickens the frosting.  It happens after storing, but also sometimes if you take way too long to smooth the buttercream on a cake (or go back later, after frosting it, and try to re-smooth places).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 22 January 2011 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

That looks Fantastic!  Great Job!

2 of 2