Spectrum Organics Shortening or Decent Substitute in Canada?
Posted: 30 August 2010 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

I am desperately searching for Spectrum Organics shortening in Canada so that I can make rolled fondant for an upcoming wedding.  Any inquiries to US distributors have astronomical shipping costs—$50+ for a $10 item and I don’t even know if the brokerage fees are covered!!!  So…Does anyone know of a place in Canada that sells the 2lb tubs of the shortening or a decent subsitute that will work in the recipe (I hear Crisco is out b/c it’s formula has changed)?  Many thanks for any leads!  BTW—15lb. commercial pails are available but I can’t justify that amount of waste!

Posted: 30 August 2010 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Sherrie - Unfortunately I don’t have an answer for you, but I did want to thank you for your timely post.  I was just preparing to make my first ever batch of fondant tomorrow, when I came upon your post.  Glad I did, because I was all prepared to use Crisco!  Now I’ll have to find time to make a trip to Whole Foods tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed they have Spectrum Organic.  If they don’t, my second try will be at the local Mi Pueblo (a large Mexican/Spanish foods market), because I know they have many varieties of lard and I’m thinking that transfat will probably be in at least one of them….maybe you have a Mexican/Spanish market nearby as well?

Posted: 30 August 2010 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I know they have many varieties of lard and I?m thinking that transfat will probably be in at least one of them

If you are looking to avoid trans fats, then Spectrum Organic is a good choice, as it has no trans fats.  If you’re looking for something with trans fats—as I understand it, Crisco has made a TF-free formula an additional product.  In some places, where TFs can no longer be sold (like NY), only the TF-free Crisco is available.  I know at my areas major grocery store, you can get both Spectrum TF-free and “regular, original” Crisco.  It’s possible that Crisco’s forumla has changed in some other way that makes it unusable for fondant, but I know it is still available with TFs.

That said, in my Baked cookbook, they often call for Crisco (they use it in some of their cakes—yuk—with 1/2 butter), but they say that Spectrum is a “decent substitute,” but not as good.

Don’t know if that helps—never made fondant before, meself.

Posted: 30 August 2010 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Sherrie - 30 August 2010 03:55 AM

I am desperately searching for Spectrum Organics shortening in Canada so that I can make rolled fondant for an upcoming wedding.  Any inquiries to US distributors have astronomical shipping costs—$50+ for a $10 item and I don’t even know if the brokerage fees are covered!!!  So…Does anyone know of a place in Canada that sells the 2lb tubs of the shortening or a decent subsitute that will work in the recipe (I hear Crisco is out b/c it’s formula has changed)?  Many thanks for any leads!  BTW—15lb. commercial pails are available but I can’t justify that amount of waste!

Have you checked Amazon’s rates?

I believe they sell it in bulk (a 4-pack)

Posted: 30 August 2010 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks for the replies.  I’m basically going off of the experiences of others on the forum and since Crisco is out, I’m not sure what else to use.  I can get Tenderflake lard, but the taste may be altered.  I haven’t really investigated 100% why the Crisco isn’t as effective, but most people have had good luck with Spectrum in Rose’s fondant recipe.  I did check Amazon and the shipping is ridiculous—otherwise it would be ordered!

Where I live there aren’t many options, plus, every retailer carries the exact same products so shopping around doesn’t make a difference.

Thanks all!

Posted: 30 August 2010 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I’m just curious why you can’t use Crisco for Rose’s fondant.  I have never made it, but you have tweeked my interest.  Would you be able to high/ratio shortening?  I have seen it at the bulk barn.  Do you have a bulk barn near you?

Actually, I did make Rose’s chocolate fondant once, but it was so crumbly.  I didn’t have any luck with it. ( all though it tasted pretty darn good )  I have never been asked to do a cake covered in fondant, so I haven’t really had to make any.

Posted: 30 August 2010 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I believe the problem is that Crisco changed it’s formula to be trans fat free.  I don’t think trans fats are essential to making fondant, but for some reason many people have not had success using it in fondant recipes.  The Spectrum Palm Oil shortening is trans fat free but it works.  I’m not certain if the high ratio shortening would work or not in the regular fondant—I used it once in the chocolate fondant and it was ok, but I can’t compare it to Spectrum for instance.  Normally, I stick to buttercream frostings, but my cousin is going for a vintage look cake and I can’t see buttercream giving the same effect, so I’m planning to use fondant!

Posted: 30 August 2010 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

I did end up finding the Spectrum Organic shortening at Whole foods today and as noted, it is trans-fat free, which is great! For some reason I was thinking it was the transfat that made it work, but obviously not the case.  I also checked and was pleasantly surprised to find frozen marionberries there!  (at $9 a bag, but oh well…)  Nice to know if I ever get an opportunity to make the marionberry shortcakes.  Sherrie, good luck with your fondant and let us know how it turns out!

Posted: 03 September 2010 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Sherrie - 30 August 2010 07:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I’m basically going off of the experiences of others on the forum and since Crisco is out, I’m not sure what else to use.  I can get Tenderflake lard, but the taste may be altered.  I haven’t really investigated 100% why the Crisco isn’t as effective, but most people have had good luck with Spectrum in Rose’s fondant recipe.  I did check Amazon and the shipping is ridiculous—otherwise it would be ordered!

Where I live there aren’t many options, plus, every retailer carries the exact same products so shopping around doesn’t make a difference.

Thanks all!

When I was looking for lemon oil, I called the company directly and they told me the name of the distributor who sells their products to stores in my area. 

That might work for you if you want to try it

I hope this helps

Spectrum Organics

Posted: 03 September 2010 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

my cousin is going for a vintage look cake and I can?t see buttercream giving the same effect, so I?m planning to use fondant!

I am almost certain Rose has a frosting or something in her TCB that specifically mentions a vintage color, but I can’t find it!!!  She mentions that it’s not white-white, so it has an old fashioned/vintage look.  I’ll keep looking, though, and let you know if I do.

Posted: 03 September 2010 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25
Anne in NC - 04 September 2010 02:15 AM

my cousin is going for a vintage look cake and I can?t see buttercream giving the same effect, so I?m planning to use fondant!

I am almost certain Rose has a frosting or something in her TCB that specifically mentions a vintage color, but I can’t find it!!!  She mentions that it’s not white-white, so it has an old fashioned/vintage look.  I’ll keep looking, though, and let you know if I do.

[Bold]I found it!!![/bold]

It’s [bold]Creme Ivoire Deluxe[/bold] (p246 of TCB and pictured on p15 on the White Lilac Nostalgia cake).  Rose says it has a pale ivory coor reminiscent of an antique satin wedding gown, but there’s two caveats:  (1) you will need access to cocoa butter (unfortunately, there’s no added sugarn so you can’t sub it with additional white chocolate and (2) you will need to first frost with a thin layer of buttercream so the CID sticks to the cake. 

I can’t wait foe the cooler weather when it’s safw to order cocoa butter!  Of course, in this recipe it’s melted, so you could probably order it if it’s shipped from very nearby (short transit time) and is well sealed. 

Looking forward to seeing the result, whichever way you go!!

Loop—great scope on the berries!!!

Posted: 04 September 2010 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Oh…if only it were so easy as to contact the distributor…I’ve been calling every possible lead I can find and I may just have to admit defeat.  When I made the chocolate fondant about a year ago, I was going to use grocery store shortening with trans fats, but it smelled like rotten oranges (every store’s product smelled the same!!).  I don’t know if I just have a sensitive smelling sense or what, but I couldn’t use something with such a horrible odor in a baked (and meant to be eaten) product.  This time around I may have to try a small batch with it and see if I can detect the smell.  I ended up using high ratio shortening in the choc. fondant (it worked ok, but I had nothing to compare it to) and so I may try that again if I can’t get my hands on the Spectrum product!  And believe me, I’ve tried bakeries, retailers, distributors, online sources…

And I did think about the creme ivoire, but it’s more so the texture and finish that I’m after…Apparently the creme ivoire is a bit tricky as well, so we’ll see what happens.  Strangely enough, I can get cocoa butter!!  Alas, I can rejoice in the fact that I picked up my case of Green and Black’s Cocoa yesterday, so at least I have that!!!

Posted: 04 September 2010 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Re: the Creme Ivoire, it is sweeter and richer tasting than most of Rose’s buttercreams.  Also, it sets up firmer than a buttercream, so if you’re stacking layers, allow them to settle before frosting or it will crack.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour