1 of 2
Recent Projects
Posted: 03 September 2010 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Here are a few of my recent projects.  I haven’t baked as much as I would have liked to this summer, as it has been so very hot, but I did manage to piece together a few things on cooler mornings. smile

First up is the RHC Golden Lemon Almond Cake, baked as a layer in a 6 cup medium-deep tart pan.  This is my new favorite pan (it is the pan recommended for the Gateau Breton), as everyone seems to absolutely love this presentation and it is quite easy.  The blueberries have been tossed with Rose’s hot glaze, and the border is the buttercream paired with this cake in the wedding section.  I have also made the Bull’s Eye Genoise in this pan, syruped with Amaretto and topped with creme fraiche and fresh raspberries- didn’t get a picture, but it was good.

Cake notes:
-For a layer version, use a smaller portion of the wedding cake batch (6/9” batch, not the 12”) to get the leavening right.
-The cake will have the best texture if the pans are filled half full.

White chocolate lemon buttercream notes:
-Taste: I loved this buttercream, and I’m not a huge buttercream fan and definitely not a white chocolate fan.  So I think it’s pretty impressive that this buttercream won me over.  It is abolutely perfect paired with the cake.  There are enough eggs and butter to dilute the white chocolate so that it isn’t the least bit cloying or overly sweet.  I made the version with just lemon zest/oil, from the golden dream wedding cake, not the lemon curd version that is paired with Woody’s Lemon Lux cake.
-The white chocolate custard can be made ahead and refrigerated, just bring it to 65F before proceeding.
-The bc seems a little soft to me, compared with, say, mousseline.  I liked it better than mousseline, but I suspect it may not be as heat-resistant.

Image Attachments
Gold Lemon Alm blueberries.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 03 September 2010 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s the RHC Vanilla Bean pound cake.  RHC features it as mini cakes, but I wanted to show that it also works well in a 6 cup loaf pan without any modifications, aside from baking time.

I made the Navan syrup for it as well as used two vanilla beans.  Very indulgent.

Image Attachments
vanilla pound cake 3.jpgvan pound cake.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2010 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

This is the red currant raspberry pie from the Pie/ Pastry Bible.  Delicious, and no notes (perhaps I was too busy eating this to write any down?).

Image Attachments
currrant raspberry pie.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2010 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie,

That blueberry creation is breathtaking!  It is so pretty!  I love how you contained the blueberries with big pearls of buttercream!  So beautiful.  If I weren’t such a frosting monster, I’d get one of these pans, because you are right, it is an amazing presentation.
And the pie is so perfect in its golden crustiness and the perfect consistency, incredibly inviting filling.
And the pound cake on the cutting board with the dish looks especially friendly. 

Quate, quate wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!! And thanks for the notes on the cake and pound cake.

Posted: 03 September 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

All of your creations look absolutely lovely, Julie!  tongue rolleye

Posted: 03 September 2010 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

All your baking efforts look so nice, and I like seeing the summer fruits. Thank you for sharing with us.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 03 September 2010 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow Julie, bake away! Very nice to use a tart pan for cake.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 03 September 2010 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, I’m glad you like them!  The cake-in-a-tart-pan thing also works well with the top covered with frosting rosettes.  I’m planning a cake soon that is all frosting on top, but still with the pretty, bare fluted sides.

Kathleen and Jeannette, thanks so much for the kind words!

Hector, praise means a lot coming from one as talented as you are!  I credit Rose for the idea of putting a cake in a tart pan, she did it first. smile

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2010 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, i credit Rose for everything i do, too.  everything :=)

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 03 September 2010 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Julie everything you made looks absolutely delicious! I’ve got to get a tart pan…really beautiful job

Posted: 03 September 2010 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, MJ! smile

Here are a couple of links to the pan, it’s from Gobel, non-stick, and it’s 9.5” diameter by 1 3/8” deep, holds 6 cups.

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=9314&keyword=gobel non stick tart

http://www.jbprince.com/professional-culinary-molds/non-stick-medium-high-tart-mold-95-inch.asp#jbp_full_desc

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2010 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you Julie. I bookmarked both sites.

Let me ask you…I can use any 6 cup recipe in that pan?

Posted: 03 September 2010 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Julie, all of the creations look just great.  I, too, look forward to using a tart pan for a cake and probably for the golden lemon almond cake.  I just love that cake.

And, thank you for the notes.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 September 2010 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Julie, I always love seeing your baking!  You are so creative with putting together the different components, and they always look beautiful.  I think you always inspire us to think of different combinations!

Posted: 04 September 2010 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi Julie,  Your projects always look so beautiful. With your baking, you show a lot of thought, skill, and creativity. I only wish that I could have tasted them all.
From a big fan. smile

Posted: 04 September 2010 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

CR, Loopy and Darm, thanks so much- you’re all very kind!

MJ, you can use almost any 6 cup recipe, unless the recipe is a butter cake designed to be baked in a tube pan or mini pan, like cupcakes.  In that case, an adjustment to the baking powder or structure might be necessary.  But any layer cake recipe will work well.

Signature 

1 of 2