2 of 2
September Chocolate Bake-Off
Posted: 20 September 2010 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

tongue wink

You give the explanation, twofold! Twofold, you ask? Here you go:

(1) I don’t like fruity cakes. Period. Applecake? Urgh. Cherries in my cake? No way Jose! Pies? Not for me, thanks. I take the raw fruit and the shortcake, separate, please. The only exception I had in the last many years was the upside down plum cake, but I think that was mainly because the fruit was so good. I like citrus taste in my cakes, but that’s as much fruit as they’ll get.

(2) I had some orange / almond chocolate in the fridge that had been heated and was not really fit for straight-out-of-the-fridge consumption anymore. So I used that for about 1/3rd of the chocolate in the layers. It gave the layers a wonderful orange flavor, and the little bits of almond gave it just a smidge of a crunch, enough that I decided that my next featherbed will have a few roasted sliced almonds in it, just enough for texture.

I also used 70% chocolate, which probably means it’s less sweet and more chocolaty.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 September 2010 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

That being said perhaps I should try Le Success again, I didn’t like it the last time, but if I use the orange chocolate instead of the lemon tea perhaps that’ll be better.

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2010 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

LOL. I am imagining the Feather Bed with 70% chocolate and the ganache. I don’t think I’ll be able to eat it, it would be too rich! I do enjoy dark chocolate but I can only have a small piece or two, and then I’m done and I don’t crave it again for weeks.

For Le Success, how about trying it with coffee? That’s what I used and it was really good!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 20 September 2010 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Oh, it was wonderful! That being said, I cut it in 20 pieces, and the pieces were very well sized. I’ve made it before where I didn’t read the recipe well and didn’t realize I needed the batter twice before I shopped, so I ended up with too few eggs. I just made a third of the recipe, and we had it with 8 people I believe?!? It was just the right amount after a big meal, just something to give you that nice chocolate shock….

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-04-02

I had some leftover raspberry ganache in the freezer, so I used it in my attempt to make macarons smile

Image Attachments
Macarons_01a2.jpg

Posted: 23 September 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

They look perfect!  How do you like Rose’s raspberry ganache?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 23 September 2010 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Beautiful macaroons! The picture is lovely as well.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 23 September 2010 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Those look delectable and as light as a feather!!!  Really perfectly pillowy!!

Posted: 24 September 2010 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-04-02

Julie: I can only guess that it’s wonderful because I only had semisweet and white chocolate on hand when I made it.  So it was a little sweet for my taste.  I’ll definitely do a do-over!

Jenn: A friend who’s just taken up photography took the picture for me =)

Anne: Thanks!

Posted: 25 September 2010 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24
aC3 - 23 September 2010 01:53 PM

I had some leftover raspberry ganache in the freezer, so I used it in my attempt to make macarons smile

So cute and perfect looking!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 September 2010 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here are a couple of chocolate entries:

The first is the bittersweet cocoa-almond genoise from the Cake Bible, topped with swirls of light whipped ganache.  As you can see, I’m still hooked on my medium deep tart pan.  I also baked, from RHC, the chocolate layer cake with caramel ganache in this presentation, except that I piped flower petals instead of swirls.  (sorry, no pic)

The caramel ganache cake was amazing- after reading some of the RHC bake along comments that it wasn’t caramel-y enough, I syruped the cake with a caramelized sugar syrup.  I would describe the taste as a deep chocolate with a mysterious caramel undertone, sort of like the chocolate fudge cake from the Cake Bible (only caramel instead of molasses).  And I loved, loved, loved the ganache, easy to pipe and delicious. I think I’m going to use it as the dark ganache on the outside of my buche de noel this year.  For me, it was a perfectly balanced, not too sweet ganache.

The second photo is Rose’s brioche loaf from the Bread Bible, with a swirl of her kuglehopf chocolate-almond filling.  I topped it with untoasted almonds (they toast while baking) and coarse turbinado sugar.  One of my favorite brioche recipes.

Image Attachments
BCA Gen with LW ganache.jpgchocolate almond brioche.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2010 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Everyone’s entries for the September bake-off look wonderful!  I hope I will be able to post my entry before tomorrow.  This stupid thing called work keeps getting in the way of my baking time.  smile  It has been a very busy month for me at work…not to mention being sick for over a week didn’t help.  Oh well, I have till midnight. 

Great job on all these delectable treats!!

Posted: 30 September 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, you can still post a little late, I’ve done it…

Or, you can also post seperately, either way is fine, we just want to see what you’re baking smile

Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2010 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie, those are beautiful, beautiful goodies.  I love the dark almonds—they look so prehistoric!  And the swirls look like fossils with those textured sides!  I just love it!!  That’s some beautiful chocolate work!!!  It’s almost like color that’s been sort of sepia-ed, but darker, you know?  Really nice.

2 of 2