In a cake recipe, can I replace milk with cream?
Posted: 05 September 2010 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2010-08-01

In a cake recipe, can I replace milk with cream to get a better end product? Thanks

Posted: 08 September 2010 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-05-19

Don’t be afraid to experiment.  You can always bake another cake.

I substitute heavy cream or half and half for milk all the time.  I don’t drink milk and often find I don’t have any.  I just dilute the cream until it is the same consistency as milk (1:1?).  I had some failures when I was trying to add flavored coffee creamers as a milk substitute which was the same issue (too much fat).  Substituting 1:1 coffee creamer for milk caused the cakes to fall in the center and be too wet.  I diluted the creamer and all was well.

Posted: 11 September 2010 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi everyone

Thank you for your suggestions, I guess I will stick by milk, its so easy to get.

Getting evaporated milk where I live is next to impossible and for half and half, I usually use the substitute: Use 1/2 cup heavy cream and half cup whole milk to get 1 cup of half and half.

So milk it is.

I read nararabbit’s post. Cake failure is way too much of a heartache but its part of the game, I guess.

Also Gene, i still have not discovered the funda behind making my own recipes, even though I peruse Rose’s TCB like a textbook nearly everyday. Frankly, its like a code that I would LOVE to decode someday!