Hamantaschen at altitude
Posted: 12 March 2008 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-03-12

We are traveling to Big Sky next week, and I would like to make Hamentaschen for the holiday.  Already bought my Lekvar to bring along.  I have never baked at altitude, however, and am wondering whether a change in baking temperature will be the only necessary alteration.

Posted: 13 March 2008 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Hi Bonnie, have you tried searching the forum for posts about altitude baking? If you put the word “altitude” in the search box and click search, you’ll find a number of posts listed incuding yours now! They include general advice, not specific to Hamentashen. But you might find something useful.

Checked my baker’s manual. Basically there are two major types of ingredient change needed to successfully convert recipes for baking at higher altitudes: 1) decrease leavening factors (baking pdr, baking soda, yeast); and 2) increase structural factors (eggs and flour). Creaming time can be reduced and oven temp increased. “How much?” is the question, and the answer is, “It depends.” Mainly on how high above sea level you’re talking.  Complicated, huh?

My hunch is that you should bake a small batch as you normally do, and see what happens. But is there anybody you can consult who lives in the area you’re going and bakes excellent Hamentashen? That would be the quick way to a reliable answer. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Posted: 13 March 2008 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-03-12

Thanks for the info.  I guess this is where Chabad comes in handy!  I did take some notes on changes that need to be made when baking at altitude, then saw a hamentaschen recipe that said no changes were required at altitude!  I guess it will take an experiment.  Will let you know how this turns out, and thanks!
B

Posted: 04 April 2008 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Hey Bonnie, thought of you when I saw all the Hamantaschen cookie recipes at this website:
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/category.cgi?category=COOKIESandPASTRIES