1 of 2
Apple Crumb Quick Bread Variation
Posted: 06 September 2010 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

This morning I baked the Apple Crumb Bread in TBB.  I wanted to make it a little sweeter so after the bread was cool, I made a glaze of confectioners sugar and heavy cream.  It tastes really good.

IMO, I could have removed the bread from the oven a few minutes earlier. 

Rose’s cakes usually are done at the minimum time for me. This one, however, I baked until almost the maximum. I had a little trouble discerning it’s doneness due to the toothpick hitting the apples

Image Attachments
IMG_4461.jpgIMG_4462.jpg

Posted: 07 September 2010 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Darn now I will go to bed hungry. LOL

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 07 September 2010 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

LOL  I had it with tea after dinner. It was really yummy.  The glaze gave it a nice sweetness and the cake was typical Rose-extraordinary

Posted: 07 September 2010 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Looks delish!  I no longer use a toothpick test.  I measure the internal temperature instead and it is much more easy and reliable.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 07 September 2010 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

How lovely!  Wish I had a slice now smile

I also use an instant read thermometer, eliminates guesswork.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 07 September 2010 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

MJ, that looks so yummy and inviting!!!  And if it’s anything like the Apple Crumb Coffee Cake in RHC, I know what you mean about it being Rose-extraordinary!

Posted: 07 September 2010 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thank you, Hector and Julie, very much. I have a thermometer and use it for everything all the time. The one time I took the internal temp to determine whether the cake was done, the temperature went off the chart. Should I remove the pan from the oven to take the temp? I was afraid that would reduce the temperature of the oven too much.  How do you both do it?

Posted: 07 September 2010 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 07 September 2010 11:39 AM

MJ, that looks so yummy and inviting!!!  And if it’s anything like the Apple Crumb Coffee Cake in RHC, I know what you mean about it being Rose-extraordinary!

Thanks Anne.  We like our baked goods a little sweeter. Applying a glaze or syrup is a good way of adding sweetness without altering the recipe. This glaze is very easy. There is no cooking, just whisking ingredients and drizzling on the cooled pastry. When I use syrup, though, I apply it to the cake/bread when it comes out of the oven and then again when I remove it from the pan

Posted: 07 September 2010 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

We like our baked goods a little sweeter

I know how you two are!!!!  wink

That’s why I posted all those ways you could make my banana cake frosting sweeter if you decided to make it!!!

Seriously, MJ, that’s one yummy-looking bread!  And I’ll remember your glaze—it sounds really yummy, and sometimes a glaze is just what you want for certain things!

Posted: 07 September 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
missyjean - 07 September 2010 02:36 PM

How do you both do it?

I do pull the cake out of the oven to test, but only when I think it’s really done from looking at it.  I try to be very quick about taking it’s temp (I don’t wait for the readings to stop moving, but rather just to slow down), because if you leave it out of the oven for very long and it isn’t done yet it will deflate!  The thermometer is particularly helpful if I’m using a different pan than the recipe calls for.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 07 September 2010 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I don?t wait for the readings to stop moving, but rather just to slow down

Julie, I cannot tell you how helpful that single statement is!!!  I sit there staring, waiting, Waiting, WAITING!!!!!  So, I’m glad to know you don’t.

Posted: 07 September 2010 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 07 September 2010 03:12 PM

We like our baked goods a little sweeter

I know how you two are!!!!  wink

That’s why I posted all those ways you could make my banana cake frosting sweeter if you decided to make it!!!

Seriously, MJ, that’s one yummy-looking bread!  And I’ll remember your glaze—it sounds really yummy, and sometimes a glaze is just what you want for certain things!

I remember and I am definitely going to make that. I would have made it sooner but, with all the summer fruit on sale, I thought I should take advantage and bake using seasonal fruits.  I have been baking almost every day. They are being eaten as fast as I am making them. Everyone at my husband’s job gets to try a piece.

Posted: 07 September 2010 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 07 September 2010 05:08 PM
missyjean - 07 September 2010 02:36 PM

How do you both do it?

I do pull the cake out of the oven to test, but only when I think it’s really done from looking at it.  I try to be very quick about taking it’s temp (I don’t wait for the readings to stop moving, but rather just to slow down), because if you leave it out of the oven for very long and it isn’t done yet it will deflate!  The thermometer is particularly helpful if I’m using a different pan than the recipe calls for.

Okay, I will do it that way. Because when you use a thermometer when the pan is still in the oven, it just cannot be accurate.

Actually, I don’t think this bread is over done at all.  What I posted was my husband’s opinion and it had only been out of the oven for a short time. Also, he is not accustomed to the finer grain of cake flour. He thought it could have come out of the oven 2 minutes sooner.  However, I touched the top and it was a jello consistency at the minimum time.  Two minutes earlier is probably right.

Yesterday evening I tried a piece and it was really good.  The crumb was fine and it was golden around the edges. 

I have blueberries and will make the recipe again tomorrow using the berries and taking it’s temperature

Posted: 14 September 2010 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

I made another variation to the Apple Crumb Quick bread.  I used Rose’s suggestion in the Apple Crumb Cake in RHC and applied it to the quick bread version in TBB.

I am traveling this week and I plan to bring 3 quick breads to my children in NY. I am planning on bringing the apple or blueberry variation of this bread, maybe both, and a banana bread

Image Attachments
IMG_4468.jpgIMG_4469.jpgIMG_4467.jpg

Posted: 14 September 2010 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

We like quick breads with tea when it is just us. 

Rose’s recipes are especially tender

I was wondering if I would be bale to substitute other fruits the same weight as the apples, such as banana?

I once sliced a banana on top of a banana bread and baked it and everyone said it tasted like banana creme pie

Posted: 14 September 2010 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oooh, the blueberry version looks really, really good, too!!!

1 of 2