Red Velvet Birthday Cakes
Posted: 08 September 2010 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

So, we had the pleasure of celebrating my twin girls’ 3rd birthday this past weekend!  Thanks to all who provided advice on working with fondant / decorative letters.  The girls have seen me looking through RHC quite often, and they were taken with the red velvet cake page…so much so that they started to request a “red heart cake” for their birthday.  Being the indulgent mom that I am, of course I ended up making exactly that!  I made rolled fondant (for the first time! - as usual Rose’s recipe worked to the T though and it came out perfectly) and used letter cookie cutters, and then piped a simple border and outline (also a first!).  They like to call themselves “Zoe Zebra” and “Lexie Lion” (for Alexa), and get excited seeing A’s and Z’s.  So the cakes were a big hit!

Since we had 20+ people over, I also had made the ice cream cake (with mint chip ice cream) and the lemon canadian crown, both of which people loved.  I’d say that the red velvet cakes won the presentation battle (though the lemon crown was a close second), but people really attacked the lemon and ice cream cakes with the most enthusiasm!  The red velvet cakes though, were also very tasty, especially with the vanilla mousseline.

Anyway, I never would have been inspired to or even able to produce four such lovely and delicious cakes a year ago…it’s all thanks to Rose’s books and being inspired from all of the stories and photos on this forum, so thank you all for helping make our birthday party a big success!!!

Image Attachments
Two Cakes.jpgLittle Fingers.jpgA Cake.jpgZ Cake.jpg

Posted: 08 September 2010 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh Loopy, your cakes are beautiful!!!  I am glad they turned out so well.  Your girls must have been thrilled.  Such a beautiful presentation!!  What cake pan did you use to bake the cakes in?  They look so elegant.

Posted: 08 September 2010 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, Loop!  Those cakes are so pretty!!!  Your stars and your border look so perfect.  I see that little hand heading for a fondant cutout…a little flower mayhaps…mmmm!  And that closeup—wow, what a beautiful texture on the cake.  I have a pre-Rose RVC recipe I really like a lot, but you have inspired me to make this one because yours are just so beautiful!  The African beasties are a great addition, as well.

Definitely one for the girls’ scrapbooks!!

So, will we get to see the lovely lemon crown and the terribly tempting ice cream cake????  ; )

Posted: 09 September 2010 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2010-09-07

oh your girls have a sophiticated palate already,must be genetic.Those are beautiful,i can almost taste them .

Posted: 09 September 2010 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Liza, thank you, it is the quilted heart NordicWare pan.  I had quite a time finding a heart pan—didn’t realize they were seasonal!  After I finally found this one at a chef’s supply store about 45 mins away, I discovered a plain Wilton one at the local Party Warehouse.  Should have known, but in the end was happy I had the quilted heart pan after all!

Anne, yes, I thought the little hands were a nice touch : )  My piping still needs work, but I thought it was a good first effort anyway!  The little animals were some plastic Wilton firguines I saw at the part store—couldn’t resist them. Thank you!

Genb, thank you, I don’t know about the sophisticated palates, but they do seem to like sugar, ha!!

Posted: 09 September 2010 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Loopy, your cakes are beautiful. You did a fantastic job on the fondant and piping. You only started a year ago? That is amazing!

Happy Birthday to your daughters excaim

Posted: 09 September 2010 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

BEAUTIFUL CAKES!

Posted: 09 September 2010 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Loopy, they are gorgeous!  Your twin daughters sound soooo cute, they must have loved these.

Congratulations on producing four superb cakes, you’re a very talented baker.  Did you happen to get any pics of the ice cream cake or the lemon crown?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 09 September 2010 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Your cakes look beautiful!  I love that pan.  It looks so elegant.  I have the Wilton heart shaped pan and wish I had seen your pan first.

Posted: 10 September 2010 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Thank you Missyjean, Jeannette, Julie, and Kathy!  In terms of pictures of the lemon crown and the ice cream cake…this was the second time I made both, and since I posted pics of those recently, I didn’t bother taking pictures this time!  They both looked pretty much the same except for the ice cream flavor, and the lemon filling was a paler yellow this time because I used granulated rather than turbinado sugar this time on the crown.  : )

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2430/
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2583/

Posted: 12 September 2010 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1213
Joined  2009-11-24

That cakes look GREAT!!  How do you like the pan?  Do you think it will hold up to more than a few uses?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.