Storing scones
Posted: 09 September 2010 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

I know scones are best eaten fresh, and I’ve had the experience of scones sitting out for a day becoming stale.  Rose, in her recipe for currant scones, says that scones can be kept at room temperature for two days, if packed airtight. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Any tips on how to store scones? I don’t have an airtight container. Can I wrap the cooled, individual scones tightly with plastic wrap and put in a cake dome? Usually I would finish the scones in a day, but I want to bake some for a friend.

Posted: 09 September 2010 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I have kept them in a zip bag, and that seems to work fine.

Posted: 09 September 2010 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

For whatever it’s worth, a friend made some scones and brought me one two days later, and it was delicious!  I don’t know if it was exactly how hers were the day she made them, but it was more than wonderful when I received it.  I asked her how she stored it, and she said, “very casually.”  She didn’t do anything special, and couldn’t remember if she’d thrown it in a baggie, wrapped it in foil or pitched it into a tupperware, but they do keep quite nicely.  Unless it’s someone who’s manic about that kind of thing, then they might see it differently.

Posted: 09 September 2010 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

I am not making Rose’s currant scones, but my favorite corn-cherry scones from Cheeseboard (a bakery and cheese shop in Berkeley, CA). I’ve baked them before and just cooling them uncovered (no linen cloths or paper towel wrapping them) and then storing them in a non-airtight container seems to make them go stale. Even at Cheeseboard itself, where they just leave the scones exposed to air on a shelf, the scones are a little bit stale by late afternoon.

Here is the recipe from their cookbook. (http://www.mycookingblog.com/post/1-cookie/14248/Corn-Cherry-Scones—Arizmendi—Cheese-Board-Collective) Can anyone just look at the recipe and tell me if it’s inherently prone to becoming stale easily?

I actually have not tried Rose’s currant scones yet, but I won’t be doing that this weekend. Her puff pastry technique seems very clever and interesting, but I am slightly intimidated and will wait for a less busy weekend to learn the technique.