GAS vs ELECTRIC convection oven
Posted: 13 September 2010 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-09-13

Hi, I want to get a convection oven (commercial grade) for my baking needs. I bake mostly cake, cupcakes, cookies, muffin.
I am not sure which will better serve my purpose between the gas vs electric convection oven???
what are the pro and cons from each oven???
what’s the difference between the commercial and household grade convection oven??? is it just the capacity? durability??

thank you….

Posted: 13 September 2010 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

What brands and models r u contemplating?  Will it be used at home or at a bakery?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 13 September 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-09-13

i am still not sure about the brand. I saw a Cadco compact convection oven OV-023. Are you familiar with this brand / model?

it will currently be use at home but that might change in the near future. would you suggest getting one that could be use both ways ?

Posted: 14 September 2010 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I ADORE the cadco ovens!  They are the best true convection ovens out there, be aware that these don’t have a fan off option, so delicate things may fly off.  Also, most cakes are baked in non convection.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 30 September 2010 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2007-11-27

The caterers I share with use the smaller Cadco ovens when they need to take an oven with them for a job; if you are considering opening a baking business and have a commercial space, you would need venting hoods/fans above the oven.  The commercial versions are intended to be used and abused in a commercial setting - our convection ovens are on almost the entire day and the heat build up is considerable so the hood fans are on to help with that. 

The question about gas versus electric is one of cost (to buy and to operate); if you have gas, then you must have the venting and hoods above the oven in a commercial environment; if you have electric you would need the venting but not necessarily the hoods - if this is for a business, you would need to check with the local board of health for their requirements because every town is different.  In a home environment, the building inspector or planning department in your town might be able to tell you what the requirement is.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)