Forum Guidelines
Posted: 15 September 2010 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-05

Hello, all. After conferring with Rose and the forum administrators, we felt it would be useful to outline some of the guidelines for participation on the forum. So here they are:

* This forum is intended for a community of bakers to discus all things baking and cooking related. We welcome your participation and presence, and if there is a way in which the forum could be a better tool, we love suggestions (even if we can?t afford to do everything).
* Using your profile or postings for commercial purposes is strongly discouraged, and may cause your account and posts to be removed.
* Obscene images, links, and language will be removed immediately, and users that post this material will be banned.
* This is not the place to voice race, gender, religious or other prejudice, and material that falls into this category may be removed at the forum administrators? discretion.
* We encourage respect and civility between our members, and posts that seem to fall short of this goal may also be removed at the forum administrators? discretion.

As always, we welcome comments, suggestions, and other input, as we try to make the forum an interesting and fun place to visit and share!

Best,
Susannah Gardner.

Posted: 15 September 2010 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Susie- so helpful! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 15 September 2010 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Susie smile!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 20 March 2012 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-20

Hi, sorry to vent, but I have just stayed up until 1:05 am finishing 3 batches of white chocolate butter cream and 2 batches of classic butter cream to be used on my son’s groom cake for a wedding this weekend.  I’m a new baker and after tons of wonderful references to Rose’s Cake Bible, I purchased the book.  I love the recipes and finally felt confident enough to try to do this for my son.  I had absolute faith in the book, but wondered about the safety of the use of so many uncooked eggs so I googled the topic and came to this site only to find that pasteurized eggs are the only safe ones.  I know the Cake Bible was probably published before the Salmonella outbreak, but is there any way Amazon or those offering the older edition could put some sort of comment telling us newbies that the recipes would benefit from pasteurized eggs so at least when we purchase the book we would know?  This was a hard lesson for me as both my husband and I are unemployed, and I have budgeted and budgeted for the ingredients only to find I now run the risk of exposing my guests to Salmonella.  I know this is probably my own fault for researching after the fact but when you are using a book called the Cake Bible, and you are very new, you tend to trust the experts to tell you if you are using eggs that could kill your guests or start a lawsuit.  Sorry to vent, I’m just very tired, very disappointed and now wondering how I can pull this all off.  When I think of the chocolate alone, I could cry.

I’ve made the chocolate oblivion torte and the cheesecake with the white chocolate butter cream as a trial run and had fabulous results; and because it was in the recipe in the book, I didn’t question the eggs, but tonight I thought since I would be serving so many people, maybe I should just check to be on the safe side.  I was convinced that I would find that I was uneasy for no reason and that all would be well.  That is not the case and I will have to dump the icings and start again as there will be children and old people and future in-laws.  This is a risk I can’t afford to take, even greater than what I can’t afford to throw out.

I’ve taken Wilton classes, researched for months on various websites and read all kinds of forums, but I have to say there is very little “in your face egg safety info” of the use of eggs in butter creams.  After finding some comments tonight, I now know where to find these eggs and what I’m looking for and why. 

For all of you who blog or forum or do baking websites, please post info on the use of pasteurized eggs for safety purposes in these recipes for us newbies who rely so heavily on your experience.  It is truly important that we know that and would be nice to learn it before the trial by fire.  Thanks.

Posted: 20 March 2012 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Pria!

I can understand your concern, especially considering your financial circumstances and the stress of preparing for a wedding, but I, personally, have never used pasteurized eggs, and I doubt I’ll ever use them.  Salmonella has always existed, and people have alwys eaten soft poached eggs, soft boiled eggs, over easy eggs and the buttercreams from Rose’s and other books.  Likewise, people eat rare meat, raw almonds, canteloups, lettuce and raw spinach, all unpasteurized, and all of these items have had food poisoning incidents.  I bring my cakes to work and no one has ever gotten sick from them that I know of—and I have definitely observed people who ate them being at work the next day.

So, all this is to say, make your own determination on risk and do what you think best, but pasteurized eggs are relatively new, people are making money off of it—through process, advertising, and promotion—and people have used unpasteurized eggs for centuries.

There is always a risk with any food—anything served at the wedding, prepared by you or prepared by a caterer, could give someone some type of reaction. 

I hopeyou son has a fabulous wedding, and I hope that, whatever you decide to do with your cakes, works well.  Also, there are many wonderful cakes are unfrosted (including the groom’s cake in RHC), and there are many wonderful frostings that don’t use eggs of any kind.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you will share pictures of the (no doubt) beautiful cake that I’m sure EVERYONE will love!!!

—ak

Posted: 20 March 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-20

Anne in NC,  thank you so much for your kind words and wisdom, especially in light of my frustration.  May God richly bless you!  I will let you know how everything works out!  smile

Posted: 20 March 2012 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m with Anne, I’ve been using eggs in buttercreams for years and never had a problem, including serving tiered cakes to larger groups on a couple of occasions.  I often feel that with the low occurence of salmonella in eggs (one in ten thousand or less) and with the hot sugar syrup and liqueur that I often include in buttercreams, they are safe enough for me.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 April 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-05

Hi, all. My name is Florin and I’m new here among you. I’m passionate about cooking and bear much of that I found your forum is great. Multumes administrator for information to be given to how to use the forum.

Signature 

Valrhona cocoa powder

Posted: 25 May 2012 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-20

To Anne in NC

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but wanted to let you know my son’s groom cake turned out to be great!  I carved 5 cakes into a tiger paw as he is a Clemson fan.  I used real eggs in everything to include one toe which was Rose’s White chocolate cheesecake.  The only thing I used pasteurized eggs in was Rose’s chocolate oblivion torte which I planned to be another toe.  The pasteurized eggs basically ruined the torte as it did not puff up like the first time I made it.  It still tasted good so I used the torte as a filling in a torted yellow cake with the chocolate torte and raspberry filling.  I used Rose’s white chocolate butter cream on three of the cakes (to include the cheesecake) and I used cream cheese butter cream for the other two.  I was able to match the required orange in both batches.  I simplified the decorating by just feathering the butter cream on top so it looked furry.  This was the first big event I ever attempted after coming straight out of the Wilton classes.  It took every bit of the entire week to have everything ready, and I was working all the way up to the time we walked out the door.  It was intense, but so much fun, just like you see on TV, but we made it in one piece and delivered everything on time (2 hr trip).  All of our guests loved the cakes and actually talked about them the entire weekend. 

I sincerely appreciate your letting me vent and by responding so kindly to me.  Thanks also to all the others who responded to you and reinforced the regular egg vs. pasteurized usage.  It is so nice to know there are folks like you out there and available, who encourage and are patient with us newbies.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Posted: 25 May 2012 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Pria!

Congratulations!!!!

Wow, that was some project!

What a great idea to use the torte as a filling!!

I’m so glad everyone loved the cakes, and I hope you share more of your baking here!!!

—ak

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-10-06

Hello all
I am new here. My favourite hobby is cooking. I have tried many recipes which i got from youtube and other website. Now i found this forum. I am really happy for being this forum member . Hope that i will get many important tips about cooking from here.

Posted: 11 October 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Hello, welcome to the forum! You will get good tips here, feel free to start posting at some of the threads!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 19 October 2012 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Hello, welcome to the forum! Feel free to start posting in some of the threads smile

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway