Designer Baby Grands - Perfected
Posted: 16 September 2010 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share my Designer Baby Grands with you guys.  It took me 3 tries to achieve results like the photo in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.  The problem I was having was the finished size of the baked cupcakes.  The first batch rose way above the tops of the cupcake liners, but I misread the recipe and made 12 cupcakes instead of 14.

For the second batch I divided the batter equally into 14 liners (33g each).  They rose above the liners too, but not as much as the first batch.

For the third batch I filed each liner with only 20 grams of batter (recipe made a total of 23 cupcakes).  The baked cupcakes were short enough to allow the lacquer glaze to dry flat like the photo in the book.

I blogged about them if anyone is interested.  Bye for now.

Designer Baby Grand Cupcakes

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 September 2010 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

These look absolutely gorgeous! And what a tease to look at this photo as I drink morning tea ...  smile

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 16 September 2010 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful! Awesome! Fabulous!

And thank you for solving the mystery of the flat designer baby grands for us all !!!!!!

(And “perfected” appears to be an understatement!)

Posted: 16 September 2010 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-05-16

I saw these on your blog, and I think you did such an amazing job such an inspiration for us newbies!!! What an acclomplishment..Thats what I love about baking, you get to look at your creation and feel pride and enjoy its beauty and share it with others..And THan you get to eat i(sharing optional) lolt!!!!!! Do you feel the taste of these meets the standard of how good they look? Shirin

Posted: 16 September 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27

Thanks Patrincia.  I was going to try 20g of batter the next time I made these, because someone else mentioned that 23g rose just barely to the top.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 16 September 2010 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks everyone. 

Shirin - yes, the flavor of these baby grands is amazing - definitely don’t skip the ganache syrup (I use good ole semisweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate). 

CharlesT - 20g left plenty of room for the chocolate syrup and lacquer glaze.  Adjust the cooking time accordingly.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 September 2010 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful Patrincia!!!  I enjoyed reading your blog about these delectable treats.  Thank-you for all your attempts, and paving the way for the rest of us.