2 of 2
My favourite fruit cake recipe
Posted: 04 December 2007 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-04

I LOVE fruitcake!  I had searched the world over….well, maybe that is an exaggeration (wink), but came up with nil until stumbling across Emeril Lagasse’s Creole Cajun Fruitcake recipe.  I made it for the first time a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.  We sampled it on the holiday and have decided that it’s a keeper.  But I have to confess, if I could find the recipe that my mother made back in my youth, I’d willing give up Emeril.

Posted: 16 December 2007 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-12-16

I don’t eat fruitcake myself, but I get a lot of requests from friends and customers to bake them some as gifts for X’mas.  As they want a rather rich fruit cake, I didn’t use Rose’ recipe.  My recipe is from the Epicurious website - called Grand Marnier Choc-Pecan-Orange Fruitcake I think.  As pecans are expensive here, I use walnuts instead.  The recipe is fantastic - sort of a very moist fruity choc brownie, and the GM makes it a little fancier than rum or brandy!  My customers and friends just love it!

This year, I baked it in a mini snowflake bundt tin from Wilton - it is very beautiful and just the right size as a little gift (abt 5” diameter).  1 recipe yields 8 pieces - so it does go a long way!  I boxed them in gold with organza ribbons and bauble trimmings, plus my handmade embossed gift tag.  Makes a fantastic one-of-a-kind gift!

Posted: 16 December 2007 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

That sounds lovely, Elicia.  Over here, in the UK we make a big fruitcake, usually an 8inch round one, very rich in fruit and nuts, usually almonds, and then we feed it weekly with spirit, brandy, whisky or rum to keep it moist. This week I will be putting almond paste and fondant icing on it and decorating it with Christmas ornaments.This afternoon I made 3 dozen mince pies , baked some and put the rest in the freezer for next week.

Posted: 17 December 2007 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-17

Newbie:  You made my day.  What a laugh I had sitting here all by myself.  I am really not a fruitcake fan but do like fruitie cakes! Lorraine

Posted: 17 December 2007 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I think something must have got lost in translation!  What did I say to make you laugh?  Glad to cause some happinesss anyway,LOL! grin

Posted: 17 December 2007 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-17

Jeanette:  I read Kate’s fruitcake recipe in the initial thread and had to laugh.  Sorry I should have written Kate first!  This thread has gotten so long we forgot who we are responding to.  Lorraine

Posted: 17 December 2007 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi, Lorraine, Yes I had a good laugh at Kate’s thread too,  it’s good to have a laugh isn’t it. things can get you down at this time of year if you’re not careful! LOL

2 of 2