1 of 2
essential cake book query
Posted: 18 September 2010 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

hey all?.so i was wondering. i hav the cake bible and heavenly cakes?.everytime i go to the bookstore determined to pick up another book as good as Rose?s , I come back empty handed!!! somehow nothing concentrates as much on cakes as these 2 books!! Does anyone have any suggestion of books they have found with regard to cakes? Carol Bloom? Flo Braker? Nick Malgieri? Tish boyle? Dorie Greenspan?
This is so confusing!!

Posted: 18 September 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Speaking for myself, I don’t need any other cake books besides Rose’es. No one else makes cakes so tender and beautiful. I still haven’t baked all her recipes, so her books will last the rest of my life at the rate I’m going smile

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 18 September 2010 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Ninuh, the next time you’re at the bookstore, browse through Shirley Corriher’s “Bakewise” and see what you think.  Like Rose, she takes a very scientific approach to baking, and the information in her book is very useful.  (I actually like the “education” part of it as much or more than the recipes.)  Or, if you want to branch out…get Rose’s Pie and Pastry Bible!!  Lots of fun to be had there…

Posted: 18 September 2010 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I have several cake books, both of Rose’s, Malgieri’s, Carol Walter, Maida Heater, and I keep coming back to Rose’s recipes.  For my tastes, they are the prefect cake, both taste and texture.  I also have both the Corriher books, Cookwise and Bakewise. I have never made one recipe from her books because she states emphatically that she has a sweet tooth. I don’t like anything overly sweet, and all of her recipes make my teeth hurt just reading them.  But I do love her books for the educational part and the whys behind baking principles.  Rose’s Christmas Cookie book is also a favorite of mine.  I had the Flo Braker book, but got rid of it about a year ago after I had tried some of the recipes.  No comparison to Rose, for my taste.

Posted: 19 September 2010 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Mrs. M….I must admit, I’ve never made any of the Bakewise recipes, either!  : )  I discovered it after the Rose books, and haven’t been tempted to deviate from using those.  Still, the Bakewise book has some nice savory recipes (like the cheese biscuits) that I tell myself I’ll bake one day.  I do notice how Shirley refers to Rose often in Bakewise, and likewise Rose refers to Shirley in some of her books, so there is obviously a mutual respect there….and anyone’s baking theories that Rose trusts, I trust too!

Posted: 19 September 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

well thanks everyone for the input!! seems like im well off with rose s books then!! =) i wanted a book specifically on cakes..something like TCB and RHC.But i guess nothing else compares =)

Posted: 19 September 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

I bought a few books recently :

(Sur la Table)  The Art & Soul of Baking by Cindy Mushet
(ISBM-13:978-0-7407-7334-1)
(ISBN-10: 0-7407-7334-8)
Cindy Mushet is a professional pasty chef and baking instructor. Her recipes have been in Bon Appetit, Fine Cooking , National Culinary Review, New York times etc and publishes a national journal called Baking the American Harvest ( http://www.surlatable.com)  This is a new book for me. I like all the tips in the book (Getting ahead - things you can do in advance, Pro’s tips, multiple recipe variations, storing advice etc)  I loved reading it and I’m anxious to try the recipes to see how they compare to Rose. 

Another book I bought:    Baking by James Peterson
(ISBN 978-1-58008-991-3)
James Peterson teaches at the Institute of Culinary Education (formerly Peter Kump’s) in New York. 
He has several other books out (savory, not baking).  I have also just read his book so far.  Haven’t tried any recipes yet. I like the step-by-step photos in his book.

I also have two baking books by Anna Olson (she has a show called Sugar on the Food Network)
I have both her books: Sugar and the second one Another Cup of Sugar.  They are mostly recipe books. Not so much about technique. I like watching her on TV. I’ve only tried 2 or 3 of her recipes but the ones I made turned out to be too sweet for my liking.

Posted: 20 September 2010 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I really like my “Baked” cookbook by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito: http://www.amazon.com/Baked-Frontiers-Baking-Matt-Lewis/dp/1584797215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284988003&sr=8-1

Not so much for cakes—I find their recipes kind of weird—but their scones, granola, bars and cookies cannot be beat!!!!

So funny this topic came up because every year when the holiday baking mags come out, I look forward to buying them.  And I used to love to browse the baking books at the bookstore.  Now, I have no interest in either, because I know I’m going to make a Rose recipe if I’m making a cake or a Baked recipe if I’m making a non-cake.  I figure if I want “extra” recipes, I’ll look to the books I already had before Rose and look at those—and most likely, compare to a similar Rose recipe to see the differences.

I had the Art and Soul of Baking, but I took it back.  I’d love to know how the recipes in it come out.  I really wanted to like the book, but it ticked me off.  For example, there were never any adjustments of any kind when going from a cake to muffins.  Or if you go from a yellow to a white cake, and it made me suspicious.  Plus, it drove me crazy that it’s a sort of “basic” cookbook (i.e., essential-type recipes), but they all had some bizarre custom quirk that made them “special” rather than basic.  But that’s just a personal preference thing, and we all have our own! 

Heidi, I’d love to know how the recipes come out, though, because although they made me nervous, I was also curious—but not enough to make one instead of an equivalent Rose! 

I’ve borrowed that “Baking” book by James Peterson!  That’s a beauty and REALLY interesting!  He makes you want to go through and try all the various techniques and variations.

Posted: 21 September 2010 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

I collect recipe books but I think I’m rather maxed out for now.  (until I see another good one LOL)
I’m not too much of a cookie or muffin baker. I find that too fiddley. I’d rather just make a whole cake, so I didn’t really pay any attention to adjustments for muffins etc.  I’m trying a couple of the pumpkin cake recipes this weekend from the Art & Soul of Baking, so I’ll let you know how they turn out. I haven’t figured out yet how to post a picture.

Posted: 21 September 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I?m not too much of a cookie or muffin baker. I find that too fiddley. I?d rather just make a whole cake, so I didn?t really pay any attention to adjustments for muffins etc.  I?m trying a couple of the pumpkin cake recipes this weekend from the Art & Soul of Baking, so I?ll let you know how they turn out.

I haven’t made any muffins myself, but the fact of the no-difference-in-conversion makes me nervous and wonder what else was bypassed.

Really looking forward to hearing how they come out!  Pumpkin is always a fave of mine!

Posted: 22 September 2010 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi Anne.  I too have the Baked book by Matt Lewis.  It has a lot of fun looking baking recipes.  I know what you mean by the cake recipes looking weird.  However, I made his red velvet cake.  It was good and moist.  Next I am making his Baked Brownie.  It was rated number one by Cooks Illustrated and is Oprah’s favorite brownie recipe.  What cookies and bars did you make from this book?  He has a new book coming out very soon with a black and white cookie recipe.  I am interested to see what that one looks like.  I tried two different recipes for black and white’s and they weren’t that good.  My favorite baking books are both of Rose’s.  I liked reading Cook Wise.  I tried the thin chocolate chip recipe and the cookies came out great!

Posted: 22 September 2010 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, the Baked brownie will bring you to your knees!  It is amazing! It’s tied for #1 with me with Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies.  They can occupy the same spot, because they are completely different.  You will love them!!!

I’ve made the Peanut Butter Crispy Bars, the S’Mores Bars (doubled the marshmallows), the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies, a friend made the Maple Walnut Scones and they were delish.  I’ve made another cookie or bar, too, but I can’t remember.  I actually did make one cake—I made the Sweet ‘n’ Salty, but I’d read a few places that it was a bit dry, so I subbed two egg yolks for one of the eggs.  I also added 1T. espresso powder and 1t. cinnamon to the cocoa powder.  It was really, really good, but I burned the caramel the first time (don’t follow their time, follow your eyes).  I nearly burned it the second time, so I decided it was the French burnt caramel!  It was a major hit!!!  Even one person who can’t eat chocolate couldn’t resist it because of all the raves (and, unfortunately, was sick, as he knew he would be).  I used the shortening as an experiment, but I’d use butter next time.  I didn’t see any advantage. 

That’s the thing I find weird in their cakes—the shortening and ice water and stuff.  Kind of freaks me out.  But the cookies and bars cannot be beat!  I want to make the pumpkin whoopie pies sometime!

I’m glad to hear about the red velvet!  I’ll have to make Rose’s first, but sometime, when I’m feeling daring, maybe I’ll try theirs, too.  I’ve become a total cake snob—even other homemade cakes are now lacking the depth of Rose’s and are becoming more box-like to me.  A friend’s hub makes her German Chocolate Cake every year for her birthday, and she brings me a piece.  Last year, pre-Rose, I loved it.  This year—same recipe—it fell flat to both hub and self, and hub says it’s because we’ve gotten used to Rose’s cakes.

I saw the new book by them coming out, too.  I’ll have to scope it out on the shelf and see where their focus is for this book ... after Baked, even with its limitations, It’s one of the few books I’d consider buying.

Posted: 22 September 2010 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Thanks Anne.

Posted: 22 September 2010 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Just wanted to point out that there is a similar thread, with different recommendations, for anyone interested:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2710/

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 26 September 2010 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Anne,
I made my first recipe out of the Art & Soul of Baking book. The recipe is called Pumpkin Spice Cake with Maple-Cream Cheese Frosting but I made one of the variations called Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache (glaze). I took 1/2 of it over to friends to get their opinion. All of us loved it. It was very moist and light. Just as good, if not better, the next day. I doubt we’ll have any left for tomorrow. I will definitely make it again.

I also made, what has become a fall favourite, for a dinner party last night. It always gets rave reviews.  Since I had to copy the recipe for a friend I will include it for any of you that are looking for pumpkin recipes.
It is from the book “Cook at Home” by Anna and Michael Olson

Pumpkin Chocolate Tiramis?

Ingredients:

For Pumpkin Filling:

1 ? cups whipping cream
1 tbsp pure vanilla
250 g (8 oz.) cream cheese at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp brandy
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

For Assembly:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tsp vanilla
2 packages chocolate wafer cookies
1/2 cup whipping cream (I find ? c. rather skimpy so I use 1 c. for the topping)
2 tsp sugar
cocoa powder for dusting

Directions:
1. For pumpkin filling, whip cream to medium peaks, stir in vanilla and chill. Beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Stir in brandy then add pumpkin puree and spice and beat until smooth. Fold in whipped cream and chill until ready to assemble.

2. To assemble, heat 1 cup sugar and water until sugar dissolves. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla and remove from heat. Dip wafer cookies in syrup briefly and line the bottom of an 8 cup (2 L) trifle dish or serving dish. Spoon one-quarter of the pumpkin filling over cookies and place another layer of soaked cookies over mousse. Repeat layering with mousse and cookies, finishing with the mousse. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

3. To serve, whip cream with 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla and dollop on top of tiramisu. Dust lightly with cocoa powder and serve.

Serves: 20 people (Don?t serve huge portions because it is kind of rich ? besides you want leftovers for yourself  )
Yield: Makes one 8 cup (2L) Tiramisu

(the only thing I do differently is I find the 1/2 cup of whipped cream to “dollop on top” is a bit skimpy so I make a scant cup of whipped cream.)

Posted: 27 September 2010 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Heidi!  I’m glad to know the recipe worked.  Many of them looked really good, but my inexperience made me a bit nervous about it! 

I can tell by your choice that we are of similar taste—I love pumpkin and all those fall flavors—apples, nuts, spice, ginger (although I’d have gone for the cream cheese)!

Oh, another good choice for a cookbook is a subscription to Bon Appetit.  For $10 a year, you get a reasonably large number of good desserts!  I just caught up on my clipping of issues—I cut out the ones I like and paste them in a sketchbook.  A little “Hints from Heloise-y,” I know, but it sure beats having magazines piled up all over the place and the good recipes mixed in with ones of little interest!!!  I’ve found BA’s recipes (I’ve only made cakes, a cupcake recipe as a cake, and caramels) to be reliable and quite good.

1 of 2