Wondra Flour
Posted: 19 September 2010 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

I recently went to the USA (I live in Canada) and I was looking for the Wondra flour that Rose recommends. The only kind I could find was in a cylinder shape container about 7” tall x 3” in diameter and it was marked as follows:

(Gold Medal)
  Wondra
Quick Mixing Flour
Sauce & Gravy
Deliciously smooth every time

The ingredients list says: /wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, Thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid.
On the Nutrition facts label us says: Protein 3g (per 1/4 cup)

Is this the flour she means?

Also, is there a quick way to cool down a cake that needs to be frosted, when you’re in a real hurry?  (fridge? freezer?)

Posted: 19 September 2010 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

That is wondra!  And I never ‘quick’ cooling a cake because the intended moistness and texture may be agfected.  Cakes continue to set during the cooling process.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 19 September 2010 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

Yes. That is wondra flour. I bought mine in a box (it comes in boxes and cylinders). But from now on I think I’ll buy the cylinder (which is much smaller than the box) because I really don’t use wondra flour all that much. Only a few recipes call for it. Rose recommends it for rolling out dough, especially pie dough.

Posted: 19 September 2010 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

Thank you Hector for the quick answer. Right after I got your reply I decided to go ahead and make the cake using the Wondra flour.  It was a special request for a 40th wedding anniversary party because it was the “bride’s” favourite cake. It was an old recipe from the 50’s that grandma used to make. It called for a very fine cake flour. I only had a short time period to make it, which had to include 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours baking time. It cooled much quicker than I expected so I was able to frost it and even arrived on time for the party.

It was called a Coffee Cake but it was very light, more like an angel cake with coffee and grated chocolate and has a cooked (dbl boiler) meringue type coffee frosting. I had never made that kind of cake before and was quite please with how it turned out. The method was very different (at least to me).  You sift the dry ingredients 3x then you make a well in the middle and add the coffee, vanilla and egg yolks all at once and beat it for about 5-10 min until the batter “becomes thick” (that’s the way the recipe was worded). Then you fold in the grated chocolate and beaten egg whites and bake.

The “bride” was very excited and said it tasted exactly how she remembered it.

Posted: 21 September 2010 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Heidi, congratulations on your successful cake!  It must have felt very satisfying when the bride said it tasted just as she remembered…that’s so rare, because often times the tastes become exaggerated in memory.  But your cake must have really hit the mark!!