Recipes using cocoa butter / Creme Ivoire Deluxe
Posted: 21 September 2010 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I’m getting ready to order some chestnuts and chestnut flour, and this company also sells cocoa butter.  I was thinking of ordering some, but I wanted to see if anyone could recall recipes that use cocoa butter.  I remember the Creme Ivoire Deluxe, but that’s about it.  Wasn’t sure if it was worth getting some cocoa butter for the freezer or not.

Any thoughts?  Also—speaking of the Creme Ivoire Deluxe—has anyone made this?  I have a vague recollection that it’s described as rather firm, like a cold ganache, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!!!

Posted: 21 September 2010 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve made it, and it does set up slightly firm, but then melts as soon as it gets in your mouth.  So it’s best to fill and stack layers ahead of time, so they have time to settle before applying the creme ivoire (prevents cracks).  You also have a window in which to frost the cake, it doesn’t remain creamy indefinitely the way buttercreams do. 

Creme Ivoire has the strongest white chocolate flavor of any of Rose’s buttercreams.

I can’t think of any other recipes that use the cocoa butter, although you can add it to chocolate to create your own couverture.  You can also use it to correct low-fat cocoa powder, though I normally use unsweetened chocolate for that because it is more available.

What will you make with the chestnuts/flour?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 21 September 2010 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Anne, let me know your online source for the cocoa butter—I might get some just to try that frosting!

Posted: 22 September 2010 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie, thanks so much for the info on working with the Creme Ivoire and other cocoa butter notes.  I thought I might be able to make my own butterscotch chips, too.

I’m going to make “le marron” from TCB—it’s the Chestnut Sand Cake with Chestnut Buttercream.  I think I am going to use the “Easy Chestnut Buttercream,” as it uses more of the Chestnut Puree and is described as being more chestnutty.  This is for my favorite ex-boss.  I wish he had 8 birthdays a year, because he likes all the same stuff I like, cakewise:  apples, nuts, maple—all that fall stuff!!!  I can’t think of anyone else I could make a chestnut cake for, so I’m very excited about it!

I’m going to order the chestnut flour, dried chestnuts and (probably) cocoa butter from nutsonline.com.  I order my almonds and walnuts from CA growers, as they are super-fresh, but anything else I order from these guys, as they have a very good quality on the whole and great service.  I’ve gotten macadamias, pine nuts, pecans and likely others from them and have always been really happy.  Except the pecans, which were only okay, but I am very fussy about my pecans being buttery and am rarely satisfied with them.  I think what happened was that I accidentally got this amazing shipment of pecans once and never have had them that good again, even from the same vendor, so now I am perpetually disappointed with pecans that are probably actually quite good!

Posted: 22 September 2010 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, your chestnut cake sounds great,, I’m looking forward to seeing the project!

Thanks for filling us in on your nut vendor- I don’t have a good local source for pistachios or pine nuts, the ones sold here are very disappointing- so it’s great to find a tried/true online source.

In additon to nutsonline.com, King Arthur also sells cocoa butter:  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/cocoa-butter-4-oz
And so does L’epicerie.com: http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/product_122017_Cocoa_Butter_Pure_100.html  and   http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/product_109900_Arriba_100_Pure_Cocoa_Butter.html

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2010 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-11-16

A geat source for fresh pecans is Whaley Pecan Company, Troy, Alabama.  They can be contacted at <http://www.whaleypecan.com/index.html> or 1-800-824-6827.

Posted: 22 September 2010 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks so much!  I’ll try them for my next pecan order, for sure!!!!!!

Posted: 23 September 2010 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, I was getting my order together and wanted to pass along, as an FYI, that nutsonline also has matcha green tea powder for $18 for 8 oz.  Not exactly cheap, but in line with other prices, and it can ride, shipping-wise, with other things you might order.  They have cocoa nibs and all that kind of weird stuff, too.

Posted: 04 May 2011 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

My creme ivoire seized up on me and then I had to use a hand blender to smooth it out.  My white chocolate had been in the fridge as I live in a hot region.  So there was some condensation on the chocolate….maybe that’s what did it?  Any idea about how I can avoid this in future?  Also, my frosting became quite firm while I was trying to frost the cupcakes, and it was not workable.  Any ideas on what to do when that happens?

Posted: 04 May 2011 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Sing!  Welcome!

I would guess that the condensation is the culprit for the seizing. Even one drop can cause it to seize!  I would think just drying it off and then giving time for the condensation to evaporate should solve that part.

I don’t know what frosting you were using, but if it is creme ivoire, it is supposed set and be fairly firm and probably wouldn’t be the best choice for heavy cupcake frosting. I haven’t made it yet, but I get the impression it’s sort of a “semi-soft chocolate bar texture” since it can sort of come off in one piece on a slice. 

For most frostings suitable to cupcakes and such, usually the opposite is the problem—hand heat on the piping bag causes it to become too soft for piping and so it must be refrigerated for a few moments.  I’d think if yours becomes to firm, you could gently zap it in the microwave. 

Looking forward to hearing bout your baking, Sing!

—ak

Posted: 04 May 2011 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Creme Ivoire doesn’t have any liquid/water in it, so any small drop of water (like condensation) will cause it to seize.

Creme Ivoire does firm up after it’s made, there’s a window of opportunity in which to work with it before it becomes too firm.  If it sets in the bowl, you can gently warm it until liquid-y, then go through the same cooling/stirring process again until it’s thickened enough to frost with.

Once it’s on the cake, and it sets up, I don’t think there’s much that can be done.  It’s meant to be like a white chocolate trufffle that is slightly firm but melts instantly when you eat it.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks Anne, I think I wont be using the Creme Iviore Deluxe on cupcakes next time, and I will keep the chocolate out for a while to dry the condensation up.  Thanks Julie, I’ll try reheating and cooling the frosting to make it workable.

Posted: 10 August 2012 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-09

I need help with Creme Ivoire Deluxe. Is the recipe specific to a particular brand of white chocolate? Can it be made in large quantities? I’ve tried it and found a very narrow window for application. It changed from liquid to solid it just a few degrees. It was impossible to hold at a piping or frosting texture. I ended up pouring it over the cake as a glaze but that is not how Rose describes using it.

Posted: 16 August 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry, I missed this first time around, just seeing it now.

There are differences between brands of white chocolate in the proportion of cocoa butter, and I think this will affect the consistency of the final buttercream.  If you’ve made it with one brand and you want to perfect it, the next go-around you could add a little more neutral vegetable oil to create a softer texture and a longer window in which to apply the buttercream. 

The quality you describe of the buttercream going quickly from too thin to too thick comes from the sharp melting point of the cocoa butter- it’s the nature of the beast.  The only other thing I could think of is to use warmer water (yet still cool) in the water bath when chilling the buttercream, and be sure to dip the bowl back into warm water once the right consistency is close at hand.  The cake should also be at room temp, not cold.

If you’d like a luxurious white chocolate buttercream that is even more delicious than creme ivoire and far easier to manipulate, try the white chocolate vanilla bean buttercream in the wedding cake section of Rose’s Heavenly Cakes, it is sublime.

Another option is the white chocolate mousseline, which has a less pronounced white chocolate flavor than the creme ivoire but is very delicious.  It is easy to work with and will remain creamy for extended periods at room temp.

Signature