Praline Paste and SMBC questions
Posted: 26 September 2010 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

I’m wondering if anyone can suggest a brand of hazelnut praline paste (I’d like it smooth).  I’ve enountered the Love’n'Bake brand on a few sites and Rose suggests one from Maison Glass (haven’t been able to find out if they ship to Canada).  I’ve plans to use it as part of a filling for my cousin’s wedding cake—I’ll do the Deep Choc. cake base and fill with the Chocolate Praline SMBC (I think… hope it pairs well with the white chocolate mouselline that will be on the exterior).  Any help is appreciated as I’d rather not order several different kinds to try myself.

Also, if you’ve make the SMBC—chocolate praline version. ... is this getting close to the flavour of Nutella/Ferrero Rocher…? I suspect it would, but again, if someone can give direction, much appreciated.

Posted: 28 September 2010 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, I’m not sure about a source for the praline paste, maybe someone else can recommend one?  But if you don’t find what you’re looking for, here’s one method that I use.  For SMBC, I make the caramel version, then add hazelnut paste to make praline (you would also add chocolate for chocolate praline).  I bought mine from lepicerie.com and keep it in the freezer, it’s perfectly smooth and divine.  I also use it for choc-hazelnut ganache and hazelnut mousseline.

Here’s a picture of a cake with choc praline smbc that Annie MacD made, it looks just fabulous:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2055/P45/#20996

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 September 2010 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
Sherrie - 26 September 2010 07:09 PM

Also, if you’ve make the SMBC—chocolate praline version. ... is this getting close to the flavour of Nutella/Ferrero Rocher…? I suspect it would, but again, if someone can give direction, much appreciated.

Those don’t have caramelized sugar, so I think something like a chocolate-hazelnut ganache would be a more intense (compared to nutella), yet completely delicous chocolate-hazelnut experience.  I made the RHC chocolate-peanut butter ganache with hazelnut paste, and it worked perfectly, though next time I will try adding a little less hazelnut than a straight weight substitution for the peanut butter.  It was rich enough that I used it sparingly.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour