ingredients search - stem ginger / fromage frais
Posted: 26 September 2010 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

My husband bought me a $5.oo book printed in the UK called Cakes & Cake Decorating (Angela Nilsen, Sarah Maxwell & Janice Murfitt) I had some doubts because the book was so cheap but I’ve made several recipes from this book and to my surprise they were very good. 

I have 2 recipes out of it I’d like to try. One “Upside-down Pear & Ginger Cakes”  calls for stem ginger and you also use the syrup from the stem ginger. Does anyone know where I can find stem ginger in Canada? So far I’ve only been able to find crystalized candied ginger. 

The second recipe “Cinnamon Apple G?teau” calls for both low fat soft cheese and also fromage frais (which I know means fresh cheese). What is the American equivalent to those two cheeses?

Posted: 27 September 2010 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I found these links:

http://www.waitrose.com/food/cookingandrecipes/cookinglibraries/glossary/glossary.aspx?type=0&id=157

http://www.ochef.com/352.htm

Posted: 27 September 2010 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Thanks Matthew. I checked out the links. I think flying to France for the cheese is a great idea !!!  grin  However, sadly it won’t be happening in time to make this cake…what do you think I should substitute because it calls for 2 kinds of cheese. I was thinking of using Ricotta for the low fat soft cheese and maybe a thick sour cream or spreadable cream cheese for the fromage frais. What do you think?

I knew what the stem ginger was I just can’t seem to find it anywhere so I don’t know what to substitute for the ginger pieces (which they use to fill the hollows in the cored pears) and the ginger syrup they come in, which is used in the cake batter.

Posted: 27 September 2010 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3126
Joined  2010-04-25

I have one of those cookbooks, too, and they look SO interesting!!!  Once I’ve finished my Rose’s, I plan to make some from there.  I was surprised to unexpectedly find the stem ginger in the ‘International’ section of my regular grocery store—not in the same location as the crystallized.  It’s in a jar with long pieces about .6” across, if that’s any help.  This was at the “regular” grocery store, also, not the “natural foods” one.  If you have a major chain, you might want to take a second look in that section.

Posted: 27 September 2010 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Anne,
My husband bought me all 4 in a similar style (330 Vegetarian Recipes, 5-A day Fruits and Vegetables, Best Ever 30-Minute Cookbook). All $5 at Costco. I’m pretty happy with all of them.
I’m going out again today to see if I can find the ginger. Now that I know more what it looks like I might have more success. I was looking for chopped small pieces of ginger. Thanks for the info.

Posted: 27 September 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

If I can remember to do so, I’ll take a pic of my jar at lunch.  If I get to go home for lunch ... car’s in the shop!  I tried to find a pic on-line, and I may be wrong in that they look like globs, not long pieces, but they still look over 1/2” across!  Anyway, I haven’t opened mine yet so I could only give you my “peering-through-the-jar” interpretation, but it’s a golden/reddish color and I found it in the international section—in the English foods part with some canned puddings and such.  It’s kind of hard to see the actual ginger pieces themselves.  Can’t wait to use them someday, though, as I LOVE ginger and several recipes called for it!!!

Posted: 27 September 2010 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

The hub told me what brand I have—it’s Asian Gourmet, so it could be in the Asian section, too.  Here’s a pic I found on-line, if that’s at all helpful.  It’s kind of small, though.

Image Attachments
stem ginger.jpg

Posted: 28 September 2010 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Thanks for the picture. I still haven’t been able to find it.  I did find this link   http://www.rosehillenter.com/ginger.htm 
Amazon also sells it but the shipping is more than the product is worth.  I’m going to check out a few Asian markets we have here.  I did find Stem Ginger marmalade which I’ll use if I can’t find the other. Apparently the stem ginger is more tender and milder in flavour.  What do you use the stem ginger for?

Posted: 28 September 2010 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Heidi! 

I haven’t used it yet!  I saw it in several recipes in the cookbook that I have that’s similar to yours, so when I saw it at the groc, I snagged it so I’d have it on hand.  Then, I got RHC…and then TCB, so I sort of diverted my attention!  I’ll get back to it one day, though!

Posted: 28 September 2010 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Anne, would you do me a favour please and tell me what the ingredients are in the stem ginger and which company yours comes from. 
I went to 2 large Asian markets here and found something that said “sweet ginger” but the ingredients listed ginger, sugar, salt and one even had vinegar and MSG. They were different from the picked ginger which was right beside it, but it somehow didn’t sound right to me. The products have minimal English translation.  Everything is written in Chinese and the employees speak very little English so were not able to help me.  I ended up leaving it.  I phoned Rose Hill supplier (link above) but they have no distributor in Canada. Their jars don’t look like yours either.  I have now checked out 11 stores.

Posted: 28 September 2010 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

I am not sure this would be available to you in Canada, but I buy my stem ginger from the Ginger People.

Before I found the GP, I looked all over and all I could find was candied and pickled for sushi.

http://www.gingerpeople.com

the Stock number for stem ginger in syrup is 91008

I couldn’t find it on the website, but I know they have it.

Posted: 28 September 2010 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Kayakdo,
Thanks for the link. I phoned the Ginger People. They no longer make Stem ginger in syrup. She gave me the names and phone numbers of 2 stores about 10 minutes from my house that carry their products. I phoned, on the off chance they might still have some sitting on their shelves but neither one had any left because it was discontinued a while back.  I think I’m about ready to give up. I’ll try somehow working with the stem ginger marmalade I found.  I can order the stem ginger through Amazon and have it sent to a friend in the States (cheaper shipping) and I’ll get it from her at some point for any future cakes.

Posted: 28 September 2010 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

Drat, I wish I’d ordered more than 3 jars.