Moist Chocolate raspberry cake (RHC) problems
Posted: 26 September 2010 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-02-10

I made a genoise au chocolat this weekend for a party. I froseted it with the lightly whipped ganache and scattered raspberries in them. I chilled it in the fridge and the next afternoon I poured a chocolate cream glaze and left it at room temperature. Here are the problems;

1) genoise seemed a little crumbly so cutting 3 layers from it was hard - middle layer amost teared. Is it possible to overwhip the genoise mix?
2) cutting the cake for serving was hard - it seemed it was too soft and the glaze, cake and ganache seemed to be separating into individual layers as I cut it and served it. It was really hard putting them on the plate and they fell on their side. It seemed messy.

The cake was delicious but the end result upset me - I had done a practice cake the week before and I kept it at room temperature for 2/3 hours before serving but I did not have trouble cutting and serving it? Did I leave it out too long? It was a warm day but still, I beleive I can keep this cake out for 24 hours. Or did the scatterd raspberries in the layers cause the problem? Please help - any suggestions would be useful.

Posted: 27 September 2010 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

You have to syrup genoise unless you eat it really soon after baking (as within a few hours). You didn’t mention using a syrup, so perhaps this was at least part of the problem.

Posted: 27 September 2010 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Infact Rose is as precise to stress in the Cake Bible to use 3-4 Tbsps syrup for every egg used in the batter and to add an extra Tbsp if the cake is several days old(Pg 120). 

I made the Moist Raspberry Genoise last week and was intimidated to use the whole syrup amts, thinking it would become like a pudding. Apparently, it does?nt.

Posted: 28 September 2010 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what Matthew said.  A few other thoughts:

sonali00 - 26 September 2010 10:02 PM

1) genoise seemed a little crumbly so cutting 3 layers from it was hard - middle layer amost teared. Is it possible to overwhip the genoise mix?

Could it have been overbaked, or could the quantity of eggs be higher than the recipe called for?  Either will make the cake drier, though it’s not clear if the cake was dry.  You didn’t try to cut the layers after syruping did you?  I have tried some of the longer whipping times/methods that are out there for the eggs, and it seems to me that two minutes of additional whipping (on med) doesn’t affect the outcome, but longer times than that (seven minutes total) might dry out the eggs and necessitate more syrup. 

2) cutting the cake for serving was hard - it seemed it was too soft and the glaze, cake and ganache seemed to be separating into individual layers as I cut it and served it. It was really hard putting them on the plate and they fell on their side. It seemed messy.

Could it be that the glaze was too firm or heavy for the delicate genoise?  I’m thinking that the first time, it may not have been on the cake long enough to set to its final consistency.  The second time, it was on longer and so the chocolate glaze may have set (hardened).

It doesn’t seem like the raspberries could be the culprit, they would have just made everything moister and genoise can normally absorb even a little more liquid than Rose syrups it with.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe